back to article Intel denies Core i7 glitch

Intel was tilting at the internet rumor mill this morning as word circulated that its newly-launched Core i7 chips suffer from a technical glitch similar to the one that previously dogged AMD's Phenom and Opteron cores. A recent Core i7 software programmer's manual update seems to indicate the chips have some Translation …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pierre
    Coat

HA-ha

"Intel [says] the incriminating paragraph relates to a Core 2 Duo issue which was fixed via a BIOS update before the launch of the Core i7."

In other words, "this will not manifest in real world conditions, mmmkay"...

Copycats!

2. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    Boffin

It's OK

There's nothing to wor6y about.) No data.will be lost will be lost or corrupte=atly exaggerated\02 Dec 21:51 PCs & Chy]s.

3. b
    Happy

@kevin

lol! ;)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

and there was no math problem with my P90

Give it up hosers and admit you have a problem and the fix is in the wild. That or move to Egypt

if you're going to live in denial.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Perhaps they need a memory translation hub

I am Pentium of Borg. Division is futile. You will be approximated.

6. Alastair McFarlane
    Thumb Up

Ha!

They copied AMD's chip design so faithfully that they took the errors along too!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

History repeating itself

quite funny, I had a P75 post the intel calc bug and have used AMD ever since except in my laptops. If you do your research on MS knowledge base almost all Intel chips in the last 5-6 years have had bugs that have been patched at software level. I am sure if you search hard enough there are many bugs patched via manufacturer bios updates.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

It would never have happened in the days of Pentiums

Intel are 99.99999998% sure there's no problem, according to their calculations...

9. William Towle
    Go

While we're on the Intel jokes...

Intel Insidd.zzzyx

10. Craig Zeigler

Here we go again

Intel didn't have a problem with the Pentiums, Pentium 2's, Pentium 4's or any of their other chips. They have never had to do a mass recall/replace, now have they ever done a software patch to correct hardware flaws. Intel is perfect, and anyone who disagrees bust me working for the AMD PR department, and therefore stupid.

...and if you buy that... I'll tell ya another one.

Seriously, I've been using AMD kit for years, and don't have issues with them. Their chip designs have in my opinion been far better than Intel, and although they take longer to get to market with them, I'd rather wait, and buy something that has had the bugs worked out.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Right...

Can everyone get over this myth that the TLB bug killed the Phenom. Nobody cared about a bug which would never manifest itself. The reason it didn't sell like hot cakes is because the performance was inferior.

12. Soruk
    Flame

Who can forget

F0 0F C7 C8 - aka the F00F bug.

Flame, because the CPU goes Foof.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

That can't be right...

Can't be a problem with the Intel chips since Apple moved to Intel which means they must be the perfect chip as they exist in Perfection, Perfection Pro and Perfection Air?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like