back to article HP squeezes 85 data centers into 'six-pack'

While bonuses are probably a little thin these days in the IT sector, it is a fair bet that Randy Mott, Hewlett-Packard's chief information officer, is going to be getting a pretty big one this year. That's because HP has finished up its three-year revamping of its IT operations more or less on schedule, removing $1bn in costs …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

how the hell do you think they pay for this shit

it was making 14,500 job cuts = provided Mott with a $15.3m compensation package

It's ALWAYS on the backs of the workers....many of whom could have done the same damn job at way less money without screwing the worker-bees. money-grubbing bastards.

2. Arnold Layne
    Stop

Yeah, right

"Now that I think about it, it might have made more sense back in July 2005 to have outsourced the whole HP IT transformation project to EDS and then bought the company when the project was done"

Are you having a laugh? EDS couldn't arrange a piss-up in a brewery.

3. Dan

no title

An average of $65k per year for 14,500 people, plus $15.3m for ze boss, comes uncannily close to $1bn. Did the new guy make a deal that said something like give me a billion, and I'll save you a billion per year?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Explains an awful lot..

The quality of service received from HP from my company, who have a pretty huge MgdSer/hosting contract with them, has been utterly abysmal over the last 9 months or so.. Really really really really bad. The first 2 support tiers they provide seem to be staffed by people who have *heard* about computers, but only once, in passing, when they were drunk, and right before they suffered a massive concussion. The 3rd level are only marginally less feckless, and seem totally bewildered when one suggests, for example, maybe checking server logs to ascertain when faults started occurring, or when a service failed.. Feckless bastards.

Pirate, because there isn't a cowboy.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Those 85 data centres

Apparently most of them are humming along full of servers still, but they're no longer classified as "data centres" so they don't count. How many of those sites have actually been decommissioned - did HP mention?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

so the end result

the goal when Mott started was to move from 25,000 servers sprawled across those 85 data centers to around 14,000 machines

Which could have all been running on a single mainframe...D'OH

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like