back to article Windows 7, June 2009 and the technologies of antitrust

Bundling’s come a long way since Microsoft was dragged through the US courts in the 1990s for wrapping Internet Explorer into Windows. With the up coming Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 Release 2 and Silverlight 3, it looks like Microsoft’s taking a soft sell to get you to consume the trio without landing in hot water. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andrew Ducker

Transcript?

I can read something in about 1/10 the time it takes to listen to it...

2. KenBW2

+1 for transcript

I read el reg on my phone, so audio download isn't really an option

3. Thurstan R McDougle
    Stop

No more useless videos please

Please stop posting these video/audio items, I come here to read this sort of information, not watch or listen to it. (Crowded office, no headphones, just plain quicker as text!)

4. D@v3
    Alert

4th for transcript

Listening to these people talk would likely lose me my job, by detour of faling asleep, see also, no headphones etc.. Also, much better to be able to scan through the atricle and pick out the bits of interest

5. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Ditto to transcript

Have dial-up only. Video is NOT an option.

6. David Viner Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Another Transcript vote

Ditto - mainly because I really can't be bothered to watch/listen.

7. Dave Gregory
    Thumb Down

Likewise

I also cannot be bothered to watch or listen. Like the others, I can read much, much faster.

8. Justabloke
    Stop

I love the video...

... sorry only kidding... can't be arsed to watch a video of people talking... I'd rather read a transcript... so I can't comment on this article directly.

9. Don Mitchell

Informed News

I agree that it is annoying to have 3rd party software installed on new PCs, but just having programs installed doesn't necessarily slow down machines. Most of that software never runs, it just wastes some disk space. Similarly, a service that runs but remains idle most of the time will not have a noticeable impact on performace. Many users who find their PC slowing down should to defragment their drive, as a first step.

I would be nice to hear news about Windows that doesn't come from people with weird zealous opinions (angry Linux or Mac users, or just anti-corporate leftists) or who are journalists and English majors who don't really understand technology.

One guy I like is Bill Thompson on the BBC, who has a MS degree in computer science. Yes, he has a very liberal POV, but at least he is not ignorant about the technology he reports.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Microsoft can't seem to learn from Vista mistakes

I'm having a hard time understanding why MS can't learn from their mistakes with Vista. Sure there are some fanboys who think that VIsta is OK but obviously the general public realizes that Vista was a bad OS.

I think the PDC was Mojave for professionals - just show them a product- don't really ask them to try it but accept what we tell you. When infoworld and others actually installed the "pre-beta" and said it performed as miserably as Vista does, MS said the same nonsense that they did with Vista. It is because it is an early beta stage - performance will get better. Well We have Vista SP1 and XP is still better for file copies, network throughput, startup etc even if you have 2 or more gigs of ram, a multicore processor, a large cached hard drive. Vista is fine for home use if you aren't looking for speed but for those of us who do notice a difference XP is still the preferred OS by tech professionals, small companies like Intel, tech journalists etc.

MS never had to really do advertising for Apple users in the past because XP ran well when compared to OSX - not an identical but well. Mac users clearly are ahead when compared to Vista in many ways (i'm not a mac fanboy - I have one macbook, one Windows XP PC and one Windows 2007 server usd as a desktop at home (performs better than Vista SP1 even though they share much of the same code).

MS wouldn't need to have I'm a PC ads if they could actually learn from what they did with Vista, remove all the bloatware, make the code more efficient not just longer, concentrate on boot times - not boot times with loading items piecemeal but TOTAL boot time, network copies, local hard drive copies, shut down time, etc - performance is far more important if you want to get companies to "upgrade" than transparent borders.

11. Stu

Gavins comment (on silverlight) 1 Million computers

Only a million computers in the world? Surely you meant to say something else?

:o)

12. Marco van de Voort

Transcript please too.

For the bloody foreigners like me.

While I usually can follow conversation in English reasonably fine, it's much harder to keep focus for more than a couple of minutes.

Also following recorded audio is harder than following it in real life.

13. Colin Wilson
    Linux

Silverlight takeup

I don't know anyone who's ever tried it - including the more technically adept people I know.

Flash FTW ! (oh, and linux :-p )

14. Glenn Gilbert
    Thumb Up

Nice. Thanks

Found it very interesting. Keep up the good work El Reg.

Didn't notice if it was a video. Listened to it whilst getting on with something else so it wasn't on that window.

Would be great as a normal podcast.

15. Scott Silver badge
    Unhappy

I need a feed

At least my MP3 player needs a feed. There is so much stuff available for individual download that I have just given up. I have 2 sorts of .mp3 file - my own CDs and podcasts.

If I can't get it by a podcast client, I will just listen to something else.

16. Trevor Pott Gold badge

++Transcript vote

I read El Reg inside my Web/Research VM, always over an RDP link. A/V over RDP is fail: please provide text versions of all things cool. Thank you very much, and have a good day.

17. chris

++Transcript vote

Yes! Please.

This topic is closed for new posts.