back to article 'Jasper' Xbox 360 hardware rejig spied online

Pictures of what could be one of the first 'Jasper'-based Xbox 360s have appeared online. Xbox_360_jasper_01 Motherboard modifications point to Jasper's existence Images courtesy Xbox-Scene.com Although the shots don’t provide definitive proof of an Xbox 360 with 65nm GPU, which is the new Jasper design's key component, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Questions...

1/ Will it finally make the 360 reliable (I somehow doubt it, givens Microsoft todate record on hardware reliability).

2/ Does the increased flash size from 16MB upto 256MB mean that new consoles will be getting functionality that the 20m existing consoles won't be getting. I would sure be annoyed to find out that another round of incremental 360 upgrades have locked me out again (HD DVD, HDMI, HDD, NXE Memory cards anyone...)

I don't really care, as I bought the real deal straight off, the PS3, which has maintained it's core spec (aside from die shrinks and HDD sizes). It's also interesting no note that it's taken Microsoft over 3 years to move to 65nm process, yet Sony managed it in a year with the PS3. It's also interesting to note the 150w requirement. My new 80GB PS3 (with 65nm Cell and 65nm RSX) consumes a mere 90w idle, 110w under load.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Help

My son wants an XBOX because all of his friends seem to be getting one this XMAS. Of course, I'd prefer a PS3 but hey, I'm not going to be playing the games and the online element is why they all want the same platform. The reason most friends have settled on the XBOX is price.

So how on earth can I make sure I get one of these revised hardware models when I go to purchase one - has anyone any ideas ? If I go into the store they won't let me open one up, if I buy online I have no chance of being able to tell. I doubt the labeling will be so precise about the power usage... does anyone have any idea about serial number revisions or if the product has a Manufacture Date stamp on it?

3. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Flame

And cue...

A tirade of PS3 owners posting comments trying to make themselves feel better after realising that 1.5 years on, their black dust collector hasn't saved the world from leprosy, aids, ebola, religion or environment change (either imagined or real).

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Questions

I would think the flash onboard just allows more saved games etc for the cheaper editions of the console.

Remember that Sony had to go to 65nm earlier to reduce cost, due to the fact that they are making a per-unit loss on the hardware.

Ignoring the obvious trolling...

5. FathomsDown
    Flame

Oh FFS....

"Blah blah blah, I've got an X-Box", "Blah blah blah, I've got a PS3"

Can we have enough of the "My dads bigger than your dad" commentard ranting. May I suggest that anyone thinking of engaging in such childish banter have a look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Help

These models wont be in the wild before christmas. Just make sure you get an xbox with as late a manufacture date as possible. You can see the MFR date on the box without opening it, because there's a window that shows you the console's MFR date, lot number and motherboard type.

7. Dan Price
    Boffin

Larger onboard flash

@AC - onboard flash isn't used for savegames, they're kept on the hard disk or memory card. My guess is that it's there because the new NXE Dashboard (the GUI, to you and me) is a lot larger than the old one, meaning that older boxes that have been updated to use it it's stored on the HDD rather than in flash - which slightly increases boot-up time.

8. Rob Beard
    Linux

@ Questions

1) Microsoft are offering a three year warranty anyway, so hey, if the console dies they'll repair it. Not ideal but it's something. I could argue that my PS2 wasn't terribly reliable and stopped working after about 18 months.

2) According to XBOX Scene, the increased flash means that MS can store the new dashboard on the internal flash rather than an external memory card for XBOX owners who don't have a hard drive (aka new XBOX 360 Arcade consoles).

Personally I'm not really fussed anyway, I haven't got an XBOX360 or a PS3 yet and when I get either I'll be happy to just enjoy the console rather than bitch about power usage etc.

What I would like to do is get an XBOX 360 which is manufactured on my birthday like my old XBOX 1 (sheer fluke that was as I bought it second hand).

Rob

9. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Help

My son wants an PS3 because all of his friends seem to be getting one this XMAS. Of course, I'd prefer a 360 but hey, I'm not going to be playing the games and the online element is why they all want the same platform. The reason most friends have settled on the PS3 is free online gaming.

So do I need to worry about which model I get, or do all PS3's just work?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Help

It will be interesting to see the UK sales figures for the XBOX and PS3 during November and December... I would wager the XBOX sales will be higher by volume - I reckon about equal in value.

Of course, this article is about the new hardware - it looks like it'll be worthwhile waiting for the new hardware - even if kids are going to kick up a stink. Perhaps an XBOX "gift voucher" for XMAS which can be cashed in the following month. Not sure thats going to make for an interesting XMAS morning...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Good news

For late adopters, especially as many gaming forums are classing the 360 as "the" console to own now thanks to good price, games, networking and such.

Arcade owners won't be out in the dry from the NXE either thanks to the increased onboard flash.

Still no sign of PS2 BC on the ol PS3, for shame.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Re: Good news

"For late adopters, especially as many gaming forums are classing the 360 as "the" console to own now thanks to good price, games, networking and such."

This pretty much nails why I've bought a 360 to go with my PS2 - a good selection of games in genres that I'm interested in (mainly RPG and motorsport games), decent price and there's a ton of downloadable content out there should I choose to pursue it. I'll still blow the dust off the PS2 for sessions of 'Need For Speed Underground 2' or 'SSX3' but the 360 wins hands down for stuff like 'Oblivion', which I could never run on my PC, and 'Fable II' (loved the original, and can play it on the 360 too thanks to the classic Xbox emulation) - the online component is, for me, just icing on the cake.

Outside of the occasional game of Civ 4, I've pretty much given up on the PC as a gaming platform and even that may go the way of the dodo if I decide to buy Civilization: Revolutions for the 360 :-)

As far as I can tell, the PS3 has no unique selling points that appeal to me - not fussed about Blu-Ray and the selection of games is pretty poor compared to the 360 and the Wii. Still, a mate of mine wants to sell his PS3 so I may take it off his hands if the price is right but I won't lose any sleep if it isn't.

I'm not a MS fanboi by any means - the 360 simply allows me to play the sort of games that I enjoy at a reasonable price.

13. Si
    Happy

Annoying

I just bought an Arcade a couple of weeks ago after my launch 360 red ring'ed, I'd have preferred one of these as they should be a lot more reliable, as generally it's the 65nm GPU in all older models that has the brittle solder problem. Still, so far the new console is much quieter and totally reliable so I'm happy.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Tired of doing treasure hunting...

...I've bought myself a PS3.

Why? Because you just need the SKU on the side of the box to know if you are getting a full 65nm machine, without the need to peek inside the case, read the PSU label and cross your fingers.

After all all the games I was playing on the Xbox (long time dead) are available on the PS3 that is also deadly silent and runs even warmer than my notebook.

Downsides so far? It's a fingerprints and dust magnet and you must wait for data to be installed on the hard drive.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

@ anonymous coward

Look for the power supply rating on the box to find the 150w one. I've got a 175w falcon elite and not had any problems with it.

I thought about buying a ps3 but all my friends online are on 360 Which is the main reason for playing.

16. Iain

re: power rating

That doesn't work yet - these new 'Jasper' machines still say 175W on the outside of the box at the moment, because this is only just starting to come out the door. If you do find one that says 150W soon you know you're sorted, though.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Uh Oh

I feel for Microsoft, this information has hit the mainstream media:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2008/nov/28/xbox-jasper

Who would buy an old XBOX with a flawed design ? I think people will wait until they can be sure they're getting the Jasper version - it won't mean people will be driven to buy a PS3 because that's £100 more. I know the XBOX now has a 3 year warranty but no one wants to buy a product knowing that there is a high probability of needing to return it even if it's fixed for free.

Own goal. They should have kept Jasper quiet...

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re: Uh Oh

"it won't mean people will be driven to buy a PS3 because that's £100 more."

Or the price of 3 Xbox live, to get Blu-ray, Wifi, Harddrive, better games, and better build quaility...

19. PIB

@Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Couldn't pass this topic without congratulating you on your user name:

With comments like that, it truly suits you.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like