back to article No cheap Blu-ray players for Blighty this Xmas

Don't expect to pick up a cheap Blu-ray Disc player this Christmas - unless you live in the US or Japan. So claimed market watcher Screen Digest this week, which stressed that the dip in sales of Blu-ray players it expects to see this quarter isn't a result of a lack of demand but tight supply. The recession is having an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Edwin

Conflicting?

If Sony says they'll miss their sales targets and if the worldwide shortage is due to lack of supply, then Sony is shit at determining sales targets or someone is lying through their teeth...

I'll give it even odds.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No sub £195 Blu-ray players in the UK?

I've just taken delivery of a Sony BDPS350 from Amazon UK. It cost £163.25. It doesn't appear to be the last one.

3. Paul Murphy

err...

'.... the company's world sales target of 5m BD players will not now be reached, though he reckons equipment suppliers won't fall far short of it: they'll set 4.5m units ...'

So they were planning on selling 5m, but due to a lack of supply they will only be selling 4.5m.

Looks as though some severe lack of planning is to blame, how can increased demand (due to lack of competition from HD) cause a drop in the numbers they were planning to sell?

Maybe because actually people don't really care that much about buying into another format and having to buy all their films/documentaries again, and having to buy a non-cheap TV to watch them on (oh AND a special cable that will _allow_ you to watch them) to make the upgrade worthwhile.

Sounds as though the excuse-cupboard has been opened and whatever fell out has been used.

ttfn

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

A 5sec google says this article is BS

Play.com £150 Samsung Blu Ray player...

5. Les Matthew

To all finding them online

But what quantities do they and will they have? A couple of retailers with a few is hardly going to fill the seasonal demand.

6. Mark Broadhurst
    Unhappy

They wont hit that 80% target then.

As sony announced at the start of the year they expect to have an 80% market share on people on BR.

It was optimistic even then its now on the virtually imposible.

7. Oliver King

Make The Most Of It

Prices will be going up in January due to the collapse of the pound.

8. andy gibson

Seasonal Demand?

Does anyone think there will be any seasonal demand this year? I, and many others, are saving our pennies for the rainy days ahead, not blowing our precious cash on luxuries like this, despite the VAT drop which is supposed to make us all go out spending.

9. dek

Gutted...

...not :-)

10. Jerome
    Boffin

Simple

So, let me get this straight: SD says shortages in BD (which is HD not SD) are due to HD-DVD (which is HD, but also BS) and PS3 (which has BD).

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Les Matthew

You can easily find a dozen online suppliers for each of the Samsung and Sony players below the price stated. 30%+ discount on the RRP of the latest model players seems to suggest stocks are good at the moment.

12. Steve Foster

Who Cares?

The whole entertainment industry has been busy digging its own grave, so I've stopped buying shiny silver discs pretty much altogether (I've bought a grand total of 2 discs this year - one DVD and one CD). I'm certainly not going to replace my few hundred DVDs and CDs all over again. So I have absolutely no reason to buy anything Blu-Ray other than if that's all that's available when my existing hardware dies and needs to be replaced. By then, we'll probably be on UV-Ray or Flash-Ray anyway.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

just say NO

I'm perfectly willing to let someone else have the one that sony have reserved in my name...ha ha ha...NOT. Don't need your drm crap and your blupay discs....not even sure i want to try one for backup since nothing else will ever be compatible. stupid wankers.

14. Ian

This story makes no sense.

Because Bluray sales have in fact been dropping since the death of HD-DVD.

If sales have been dropping then how would there be a supply problem unless they stopped making them?

I know what this story is about, it's about making Bluray sound more popular than it is in the hope people will go out and buy it.

HD movies just aren't all that amazing after you've watched a few and got over the initial "ooh shiny new thing" factor.

After a quick look I've yet to find anywhere that's sold out of cheap Bluray players.

15. b166er

'cos no-one wants them here

schmoptical

16. Tezfair
    Stop

why bovver

Said I said before, these HD DVDs are dead in the US as they now download HD content.

17. Peter Holgate
    Stop

Who wants Blu Ray anyway?

Who cares if there's a shortage, the only people who will buy them are the idiots who MUST have the latest toys!!!

18. James Pickett (Jp)

I'm an idiot?

I like having the latest toys. Why does that make me an idiot?

I have a certain amount of cash left over after paying the bills. Some I save, the rest I spend. Does it really make me an idiot if sometimes I like to treat myself to a shiney new toy??

I don't think bluray will have the same impact as DVD, but I'm very happy with my 40" screen, Ps3 and lovefilm sub! :-)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like