back to article Mumbai terrorist attacks kill at least 100

Serial terrorist attacks in Mumbai, India's financial capital, have left at least 100 dead and 280 wounded. Teams of gunmen attacked two five-star hotels, a railway station, hospitals, and a restaurant famous for attracting tourists, the AP reports. The gunmen specifically targeted Americans and Britons at the hotels and the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Winkypop Silver badge
    IT Angle

Absolutetly disgraceful act of cowardice

...but a fairly weak IT angle there fellas.

2. mario
    Flame

very sad

last i heard, the NSG was called in to take over the oberoi. i cannot remember the NSG ever taking any prisoners. we'll get those cowardly scumbags and when we do they'll pray they never listened to some senile POS promise them 72 virgins. hell they'll wish they were gay.

3. Aditya Krishnan
    Flame

Terrible

Horrible it was... I was within 200m of the Oberoi Hotel when it was attacked. According to a recent newsflash at least 10 of the terrorists were from Pakistan. The India-England ODI series has been cancelled, btw.. the team departs tonight.

I'd like to ask, when it is such a bloody open secret that the Pakistani government indirectly funds and supports terrorists, why is it not a target of the "war on terror"? They've even got WMDs, so that's a non-issue (unlike Iraq).

4. Chris G

Tricky situation

Given the number of normally peaceful but inflammable muslims that live in India it will be important for the response of the Indian government to be just right or the chance of near civil war is possible.

5. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

BBC reporting

Funny that the BBC television news this morning appears to avoid the word "Muslim" when discussing these attacks in Mumbai or even the terrorist group called Deccan Mujahidee.

6. M
    Coat

Aha

So this is why last nights Indian takeaway delivery driver was crying.

7. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

Cricket's cancelled.

Cue conspiracy theories about the Deccan Mujahideeen being a front for the ECB as a ploy to avoid the series whitewash.

8. johnB
    Boffin

Oh for the want of an ID card

<irony> If only India had ID cards, this clearly woudn't have occurred </irony>

9. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Memo to Jacqui Smiff from Rusty Shackleford

My sympathies to the victims of this atrocity.

Now Jacqui, I think you'll find luv that India has issued lots of ID cards. So you see you and the countless 'millions of people who pester you for an id card every day' are simply wrong.

Do you see how your wrong? How Terrorists and id cards aren't even on the same page?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Must have been the Jehovah's Witnesses or the Hare Krishnas.

I'm sure the Religion of Peace could never be responsible for an act like this.

11. Frank Bough
    Thumb Down

Oberio?

It's Oberoi.

12. Aaron Singh

Truly Terrible

This is a truly terible occurence and my heart goes out to all the victims of this terrible incidence. Let's hope that the perportrators can be caught.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Terrible - and here's the IT angle

FIrst up, this is a terrible thing to happen - hope the Indian govt doesn't decide to use this as an excuse to (a) hit Pakistan or (b) start a purge of muslims in India.

Here's the IT angle - is this going to make companies busy 'off shoring' to India think twice? After all, would you want your call centre/app development in a place where one group of folks are being shot at by another, and where whities aren't welcome? (no racism/xenophobia meant)

Hope the Indian Police manage to find the organisers of this and put them in a deep dark hole for a long time...

14. Nirmal Natarajan
    Thumb Down

Everything bad happens every year...

... but this Government still thinks and begs for ballot votes.

15. Andus McCoatover
    Happy

Wonderful news for the UK IT industry...

Will this make the bosses think about outsourcing a bit more carefully?

Mate in Nokia Siemens Networks (NSN) tells me they're nervous (and a helluvalotta production in India) so.......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/7751360.stm

I can fucki*ing understand why. I was slated as an NSN trainer to go to Mumbai, and give training about this time, fuc*k that. I went to Israel (Natanya) to give training at the start of the Intafada 5 years ago, 'cos no-one else would. No sweat, just a bloke blew himself up 2km from where I was training. So loud, I suggested a coffee break.

Didn't hurt me, but the suicide bomber now has 47 virgins, (presumably, ex-virgins, assuming Allah has given him a new tadger), to nag him for eternity. Just rewards.Serves the sod right, I say..

Nowadays, I wouldn't even go to Matatma Kote's Curry House in Bradford even if you paid me. Unless enough...

16. V.Srikrishnan
    Stop

Angry

most of india is very angry at this attack, at the sick bunch of shitbags who call themselves politicians here.

we should probably take the us to court for creating the mujahedin. while the US is powerful enough and has no qualms about using the dirtiest tricks, we unfortunately lack both in power and in these Machiavellian manipulations. and so we suffer..

clear evidence points to Pakistan's involvement, yet the world chooses to turn a blind eye and even arm it to "counter" India, a country which is as bovine as the proverbial holy cow.

17. M
    Flame

@Andus McCoatover

I probably wouldn't go to Matatma Kote, but Akbars of Bradford would have to be on fire before I would consider not going there.

Flames because of Akbar's Challenge Curry.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

their lawful rights towards self-determination

musharraf: people fighting for their rights towards self-determination

bush: terrorism

india: confused

commoners: voting & dying

it is becoming a sick rhetoric:

"dastardly act, condemnable"

"heart, spleen & genitals goes out to those who lost their lives"

"army/nsg/... are the heroes who sacrificed their lives for the country"

etc & etc.

cut talking shit, replace democracy with something more viable & action oriented.

This topic is closed for new posts.