back to article Luke Skywalker's lightsabre goes on sale

Consoles a-plenty already offer gamers the chance to wield lightsabres in virtual Star Wars battles. But if you crave something more realistic then go and raid your piggybank, because the film's original lightsabre will go on sale next month. original_lightsabre Mark Hamill's lightsabre: an elegant weapon from a more …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Toby Rose
    Joke

Imperial Entanglements

I'll give you 60 thousand now plus 60 thousand when we reach Alderaan.

2. Feef Lovecraft
    Joke

What £120,000?

And it doesn't even light up, vibrate or make noises when you use it?

3. Luke
    Joke

The big question...

Will it still work after all these years?

4. Eddie Edwards
    Joke

@ Toby

That's ridiculous I could almost build my own light saber for that.

5. Johnny FireBlade
    Joke

This isn't the lightsaber you think it is

You don't want £120,000. This isn't the lightsaber you think it is. I can buy it for £20. Let us go about doing business.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No match for a good blaster?

Rubbish. It's far less clumsy and random...

7. teacake

@What £120,000?

"And it doesn't even light up, vibrate or make noises when you use it?"

If that's your requirement, you'll be wanting this (allegedly NSFW) Register article: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/25/erotica_2008/

8. Phil Hannent
    Happy

I'd buy it for 10x that (if I had the money)

Why is this up for sale, who is selling it? This is a historical treasure, is George Lucas short of money?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

"an elegant weapon from a more civilised age"

A more civilised age?? Not if you've seen the first three movies, plus the Clone Wars kids cartoon it wasn't!

10. Anonymous John

@ @ Toby

Eh? All you need is a fluorescent tube and some petrol.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/beds/bucks/herts/4575291.stm

11. andy gibson

"Random"?

I always wondered what Obi Wan meant when he said blasters were "clumsy and random".

It fires an energy charge in a straight line out the barrel. How can that be random?

12. Stephen Henson
    Coat

Incomplete?

Does it come with Luke's hand as well? Surely it will be a bit battered after falling all that way...

Mine's the coat that jumps to me when I hold my hand out....

13. jai

that's no moon...

did they find it on the rubbish heap on cloud city? does it come with the severed hand still attached?

14. Jim Coleman
    Joke

Lord Vader Says...

That's really my son's own lightsaber?

I find your lack of fakes disturbing.

15. Kenny Millar
    Jobs Halo

But..

Is it Mac compatible?

16. Andy G

Severed Hand . .

Did anyone else wonder why, when after his hand and lightsabre fell, they werent waiting for him at the bottom when he also came to a halt ???

/mines the one that ISNT the one you're looking for

17. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Not the Sabre you are looking for...

It's being reported in collectors forums this sabre is not screen used or even production used. Possibly put together from spare parts years later. Some sucker will buy it though.

18. Anonymous John

@ "Random"?

"I always wondered what Obi Wan meant when he said blasters were "clumsy and random"."

Well they never seem that effective. Not when you can avoid being killed simply by moving sideways to avoid a beam travelling at the speed of light.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Not the Sabre you are looking for...

Senator Palpatine's just about to give a trillion dollars to the unemployed, (that's 333,333 pounds each.) With 3,000,000 people all holding 333,333 pounds for nothing, I'm sure it will make more than 120,000 pounds.

Why doesn't he just pay off everyone's mortgage? If he did this, I'd be happy to pay a bit more national insurance. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5128220.stm

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"an elegant weapon..."

With elegantly pop-riveted fins around the base. Quality!

21. Jason DePriest
    Thumb Up

THIS is the sabre you are looking for

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/75896.asp

[quote]

The Star Wars® Luke Skywalker® Lightsaber.

An exact replica of the famous Jedi and Sith weapon from the epic Star Wars series, this lightsaber is faithful to every outward detail of the original hilts and reproduces the authentic, digitally recorded sounds from the movie, including the classic hum when idle, swooshing sound when swung, and clashing sound when it strikes another object or lightsaber.

The sturdy blade is composed of shatterproof polycarbonate enclosed around a string of bright LEDs that illuminate in sequence from hilt to tip when turned on, providing the illusion of a focused beam of energy emanating from the hilt.

As it powers up, the lightsaber replicates the actual initialization sound used in the films, and built-in motion detectors detect blade movement and prompt the same battle sounds that are the hallmarks of the "elegant weapon, from a more civilized age."

The hilt is made of durable die-cast aluminum and polyethylene and crafted to replicate all outward characteristics of the unique lightsabers used by Anakin Skywalker®, Luke Skywalker, Yoda® and Darth Vader®. Requires three AAA batteries. Ages 14 and up. Luke Skywalker. Blue blade; from Star Wars: A New Hope. 44" L

Duty Free to Canada- Click for details

Item 75896 ................... $129.95

Available for Immediate Shipment.

[/quote]

Cheaper and fully functional... sort of.

22. Mark York
    Thumb Down

For Sale Second Hand Lightsabre - What is thy bidding, my master?

Did anyone else wonder why, when after his hand and lightsabre fell, they werent waiting for him at the bottom when he also came to a halt ???

/mines the one that ISNT the one you're looking for

IIRC Luke falls & "forces" (Sorry) himself into a ventilation shaft, then stops on a trap door which opens & drops him to Cloud Citys Freeview aerial.

I always imagined the hand\weapon being picked up by one of Vader or his lackeys.

Severed hand FOR.

23. James O'Brien
    Coat

To switch movie references

I'd buy that for a dollar!!!

/Yes yes mines the one with the baby food in it....I need to eat to you know

24. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

@"Random", @@"Random"

Well, even perfectly good blasters become random when stormtroopers are doing the shooting...

25. Adrian Esdaile

No match for a good set of nail clippers

No... wait.... it's GOT some nail clippers stuck on the side! We're doomed!

26. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

Huh?

We're in a credit crunch, businesses folding left, right and centre, the housing market is collapsing - and they expect someone to have £120,000 for a single movie prop?

I'm in the wrong line of work.

27. Steve Rowsell
    Happy

@ Mark York

Hello There !

Showing the true depths of my geekiness here, but in one of the expanded universe books, it transpires that the saber was picked up by Imperial forces (complete with attached hand).

The hand was then used some time after the timeline of the movies by an evil clone Jedi called Joruus C'Baoth to create an evil clone of Luke Skywalker, (apparently named Luuke Skywalker), who ended up using the saber.

You don't need to see my identification - Move along...

28. David Jackson
    Boffin

Wookieepedia

Everything you ever wanted to know (and a lot more) about light sabres can be found at

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber

29. Peter Perry
    Coat

@ Steve Roswell

If you were truly geeky you'd know that it was mentioned in Timothy Zahn's heir to the Empre trilogy of novels :)

Yes, the hand was used to clone Luke, and the lightsaber was given to the clone, Luuke, after Luke defeated him he gave it to Mara Jade (an Emperor's Hand) who had been tasked to kill Luke by the dying Emperor via some fomr of remote Force communication. Worked out in the end though, Mara and Luke get married down the line.

To paraphrase Qui-Gon, "There's always a bigger geek".

Mine's the orange one with the Rebel X-Wing Pilot helmet.

30. Niall

Re:Not the Sabre you are looking for...

I was just thinking that. It was on the telly a couple of weeks ago and I'm pretty sure the one Obi gives Luke has a big red, sticky out, awkard looking button on it, unlike the one pictured. This is going to annoy me now, can anyone put my mind at ease

This topic is closed for new posts.