back to article Blockbuster launches set-top film-download box

Blockbuster has finally realised what we’ve all known for years: traipsing back and forth to its stores with discs is a pain in the bum. So the rental firm’s launched a set-top box to deliver films directly to your living room. Blockbuster_set_top_box Blockbuster's MediaPoint set-top film box The MediaPoint box will sit …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

And like all download services..

Quality will either be abysmal (SD), or poor (HD), and take ages on current broadband infrastructures.

No thanks, I will stick with my existing DVD collection, and my ever expanding Blu-ray collection.

2. bluesxman
    Thumb Down

questionable

As the AC@12:10GMT said, the quality probably won't be there.

Until it's a significantly better quality alternative to downloading hooky (but generally well encoded) content from the myriad torrents sites out there I can't see this sort of thing taking off.

3. Scott Mckenzie

@AC

Apple TV quality is excellent....

That's the only one i've ever tried but i was very impressed!

4. BRAINPLAN
    Go

would be good in sweden!

Quality arguments are getting very old - the various and virtually lossless compression codec’s that can be used today are quite suitable for providing a quality viewing experience - even on the most decent HD projectors or TV's.

As mentioned the bugger is the file size... not so good with a broadband network that’s not developing so fast, did I mention that I have 100mb connection here in Stockholm? :) (There are advantages to being in a country with less than 11 million people!)

I'm sure this service would work a treat here.

btw thats 100mb uncontented and unrestriced - There are advantages to being in a country with less than 11 million people!

5. Robert Forsyth

In the UK, you would storage for our low speed broadband

There are already a few film download services in the UK

http://www.fetchtv.co.uk/ launch end of November

http://www.filmon.co.uk/ (weird site)

This topic is closed for new posts.