back to article VAT fraudster must repay £26m

A convicted VAT fraudster has been ordered to pay Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs £26m or serve an extra ten years in prison. Craig Johnson is already serving 12-and-a-half years for his part in a missing trader or carousel fraud which defrauded the Revenue of £138m. The confiscation order means Johnson must cough up £8m …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jamie
    Linux

Proves where the gov'ts priorities are

Steal money from the Gov't and they will lock you up for life.

Abuse or kill a child and you will be out in 3-5 years.

Long live the New World Order.

2. David Shepherd
    Happy

Rich person to pay uncollected VAT

... so that's where Brown & Darling got their idea from

3. Alan Lukaszewicz
    Dead Vulture

It seems to depend on chumminess?

(Continuing tirade from another post)

Of course, it would probably help if the perps contributed to party funds, lobbied politicians or were on handshake terms with MPs.

That way, like the banks and finance sector, they would probably be thanked for their initiatives, awarded government grants with bundles of public funds as an encouragement to legitimize their business?

As none of these hold well, it looks like prison for the perps.

Now then, for the banks and finance sector.

Has anyone conducted a criminal investigation or a national security investigation with a view to confiscating assets, property, goods and chattels of the various organisations, executives and leading bonus earners?

(I thought not. It may be amazing what "influence" can purchase?)

Our cousins over the pond have some notions of "enemy within" and :anti-America activity" but here in the UK ... ?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Silly man

Silly man, their are many a legal way to rip off the tax paying public, if only he started his own bank he could have got away with it.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Dodge 'ems

"Alder said carousel fraud remained a top priority for HMRC."

But the dodgem and helter-skelter fraudsters are laughing.

6. Alan Lukaszewicz
    Happy

heh heh

heh heh...

7. adnim

@jamie:Proves where the gov'ts priorities are

Exactly what I thought when I heard this on Radio 4 news.

It appears to be a minor offence for the UK populace to rape, muder or otherwise harm each other, no real crime done there. But deprive the government of some tax and expect the severest of punishment. As Alan L pointed out, he shouldn't have been so selfish. If he had made some contribution to the government coffers, he might have got off with a severe talking to, or some excessive finger wagging.

8. Dave
    Gates Halo

@Jamie

Have you not been reading the news lately?

Take a personal picture of your significant other having some fun and you are in the jail and on the Sex Offenders Register.

Take a photo somewhere near to a child and much the same happens.

Anyway, good luck to the Treasury, this was out and out fraud and deserves to be punished hard.

<- Bill, 'cos he deserves a bit of punishment too, and not the sexy kind either.

9. Steve Anderson

Bargain

I'd keep the money and do an extra 10 years, myself. It's not like he's going to earn £2.8 million a year when he's released, after all. Free bed and breakfast too!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Consequences

If I recall correctly, according tot he news broadcast on TV, he does not need to hand over the additional money but his sentence will be increased by 10 years. Sounds like a nice return - anyone reckon he could make £1.8 millon a year doing a legit job ?

11. N

spot on Alan

He omitted to give Gordon Clown & his chums a couple of million quid & thats what screwed him

that way,he might have been in the line for a knighthood & any government initiatives...

12. Scott Mckenzie

Reduction?

Does he get a 2.5% reduction from December the 1st?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Bilko?

I am sure that Sgt Bilko would be profoundly proud of things

This topic is closed for new posts.