back to article Premium-rate industry pushes into class

Budding entrepreneurs are to be encouraged to develop premium-rate content by the industry regulator, with free lesson plans and downloads from the Ministry of Sound to make ringtone creation part of the UK curriculum. The plans come from PhonepayPlus, the regulator formally known as ICSTIS, and comprise a new programme called …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. D@v3

out dated?

Seems odd, as i was making (and selling) my own ring tones, and taking requests for others in the later years of my time at school, and whilst at college, and it was actually a mare to do back then.

These days most phones (that) can play MP3's will allow you to set them as ring tones, so unless what they are suggesting is actually making the MP3 files to put on the phones, I don't get it...?

2. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Thumb Down

Oh for...

Perhaps the time might be better spent teaching kids to be able to read and write to basic standard? I had the pleasure of reading my 15 year old nephew's essay about climate change about a year ago, having been asked to print it out after his family printer went on the fritz. I had to fight the urge to whip out the red biro and start scribbling corrections and notes all over it!

Things like this always remind me of the Simpon's episode, where a toy company takes over the school and tricks the kids into designing their new toy for them.

3. chris

Lesson plan

"educating them about how to use such services"

Don't. They are a rip-off.

This education stuff's a doddle.

4. anonymous sms

Teacher leave those kids alone

How much of this £1b industry would there be without the premium rate spam, scam and dodgy ringtone web sites.

5. Rob

wtf

you mean there's actually going to be a lesson involving creating something?! and not just regurgitating the retarded facts they tell you to?! now that would be something new, I'd have paid money to do this at school,

in case you were wondering, no, i couldn't do music GCSE, because no one else wanted to,

6. Mike

PPP in our schools: "must do better"

What's particular funny here is that PhonePayPlus's "innovative new schools programme" includes a "case study" of one "ALEXANDER AMOSU – LORD OF THE RINGTONES" in which PP+ write (without trace of irony):

"Alexander Amosu is one of Britain’s most successful young entrepreneurs and a leading figure in the mobile entertainment industry. He launched one of the first ringtone phone-paid service companies in the UK in 1999 and made his first million at the age of 25.

Growing up on a north London council estate, Alexander Amosu learned earlier than most that there were two ways to get what you want in life. 'You either stole it, or you found a way of paying for it.' "

Now Mr Amosu has been mentioned before by PP+. In March 2001, ICSTIS (PP+ under old name) fined Mr Alexander Amosu £1,000 and warned him about his future conduct after several breaches of their code of conduct.

So if Mr Amosu is held up as a shining example and role model for young kids by PP+, God protect us from the other PRS entrepreneurs who even PP+ admits are a bit dodgy.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

The desperate Academy

The business Academy was the first one built and has been a bit of a flop. It would attend the opening of an envelope for publicity so its desperation to be attached to this dinosaur is hardly surprising. Course it leaves out the fact that Schools need Adobe software for the project which they wont have. And schools don't do 30 day trials or waste money on software for one lesson. Was Dominic given the software free? Please tell!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like