back to article NASA orbiter reveals buried Martian glaciers

The ground-penetrating radar aboard NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) has identified extensive Martian glaciers buried under "protective blankets of rocky debris". The glaciers - lying in the Hellas Basin region of Mars's southern hemisphere - stretch for "dozens of miles from edges of mountains or cliffs". Their …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"open your mind"

start the reactor

2. Chris Miller
    Coat

I saw a documentary about this

think it was called "Total Recall".

3. Alistair
    Coat

Cool!

The extra-warm waterproof one, please.

4. E

COOL!

n/c

5. Luther Blissett

MASHed up

If Radar is what they are going by, they need a real Hawkeye to read the returns properly.

It's a good thing we don't have these guys on the early warning radars. Also that M$ gave them their very own red buttons (see The Beast is not all Evil).

6. Chris iverson
    Coat

So all we need...

Is a few Land Rovers and ford explorers to go and drive around for a bit and we got us a possibly habitable planet. Or we could turn on the reactor]

Mines the one with the weird alien hand, time bomb, and SUV keys in the pocket

7. The Mighty Spang
    Thumb Down

nice artists impression...not

You know what i think i know what ice kinda looks like... is this necessary?

8. alzain
    Alien

nice but is it real??

is it drinkable or is it mutated with martian urine and other crap??

9. THOMAS STEWART VON DRASHEK
    Flame

How Radar Works

Radar is basicly misunderstood. Radar does not Bounce off anything. its simply analog display of variations of resistance that signal makes then by use of prism, half signal is carried to luminous screen. where differnt levels of power, current thats blocked has more, curent that passed thru less, is upped by wand to increase intensity of variations of signal. Nothing more.

Signed:PHYSICIAN THOMAS STEWART VON DRASHEK M.D.

10. E
    Happy

@DRASHEK

Yes, Drashek. Now turn it on it's head and solve Gauss's equations for current induced by absorbed radiation and consequent emitted radiation from the thing the radar is 'bouncing' off. It's almost a tautology if I look at it in your manner!

As for that prism... well many things absorb and emit in different frequencies. Traditional radar looks for the same bandwidth it transmits - metal targets work well with that approach. It does not _have_ to receive at the same bandwidth it transmits though.

11. Paul Segrue
    Alien

OOO

This is the voice of the Mysterons....

12. Moss Icely Spaceport
    Thumb Up

Martian skiing holiday anyone?

Yah!

Skiiing off piste on Mars!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re:Radar is basicly misunderstood

So, found yourself a soulmate, have you, Drashek ?

How much current do you block ?

Can we test that ?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Yay, more water on Mars

Way back when I was a kid, Mars was dead and dry. It was almost like scientist were badly embarrassed by Lowell's enthusiastic yet wrong headed interpretation of Schiaparelli's 'canali'. The idea of water on Mars was anathema and consigned to the dustbin of history after Mariner 4 sent back the first detailed (by 1965 standards) pictures.

It is pleasant and amusing to see the steady erosion of the dry Mars paradigm. We have repeatedly heard scientists say, "Well maybe there is this water on this bit Mars but that is all, I am certain of it..." and yet they have been repeatedly been proven wrong - limited by their faith in the known 'fact' that Mars is essentially dry. Frozen maybe, but the dryness concept seems to be all washed up.

For the record, I respect and endorse the scientific method as the proper approach to understanding the world and the universe in general. But the history of water on Mars has underlined the need for scientists to also understand their own core beliefs lest they interfere with the discovery of truth.

Now that 'dry Mars' has largely been put to bed, let's get to work on 'dead Mars'

15. nagyeger
    Alien

The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one they said...

...but still they came

[With cool music by wotsizname]

16. Mike Groombridge
    Alien

forgiven me if i'm worng but..

didn't the japan prepose sending a nuclear reactor to mars. polar cap to melt it just to see what would happen if it would do the total recall oxygenise the atmosphere job

was the theory defunct or what. get those arses in gear and send up those nukes if it didn't. work well its not our world if it works we can invade :-)

@ Nagyeger -cool music was by jeff wayne they need to do a rock version nowadays though.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Shaken not stirred

A nice start but if it turns out there is not quite enough water and other useful materials in the frozen bits there is always a quick solution.

Just start popping some of those errant comets that keep bothering us onto the surface.

Not only will you be adding a few megatons or more of CHON based material but you will also be adding a nice little boost of thermal energy to the environment.

*CHON - Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen, Nitrogen - basic material used by a biosphere and supposedly the majority of material in a comet

** wouldn't want to be anywhere in the vicinity of an insertion either - gets kind of warm rather quickly for a short period of time.

Mines the one with the Traveller passport in the pocket.

18. carrie pacheco

BubbiesMom

I dont know of any experiment that is being testes in space that can not be done here on earth? Wow what an expensive joy ride out of town!!!

19. Caoilte

I believe the problem

with melting the ice caps / glaciers for terraforming processes (or indeed throwing comets at it) has always been that the low gravity on Mars means too much of any released atmosphere would leak to make settlement viable.

Shame that.

20. Busted
    Stop

What?

"larger than the city of Los Angeles and up to one-half-mile thick"

Is that instead of two-half-mile thick.

What's wrong with saying it's half a mile thick at the very least it's more economical!

21. DZ-Jay

>> "larger than the city of Los Angeles and up to one-half-mile thick"

How much is that in football fields?

-dZ.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like