back to article Nokia goes to tinsel town

Continuing to distance itself from boring-old mobile phones, Nokia has announced plans to open a research lab in Hollywood packed with movie executives rather than those engineers the company so recently laid off in Finland. Nokia believes a presence in the city of dreams can reinvigorate its headlong plunge into Web 2.0, even …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Neil Hoskins
    Go

Makes sense when you think about it

They have some pretty whizzy devices now capable of playing all kinds of videos... and sod all content, unless you count iPlayer on one model only, Sky News bulletins (IF you can find the feed url), YouTube, Reuters, and a Ricky Gervais video podcast every six months or so. What I'd really like to be able to do is download a movie to view on a plane flight or train journey.

(Yes, yes, I know I can muck about, ripping a DVD, decoding it, stripping the DRM, converting it to H264 and so on and so on, but I've got a life to live, thank you very much.)

2. amanfromMars Silver badge

Viking Trojans bearing Gifts

"Apparently the Nokia Research Center Hollywood will have a "strong emphasis on entertainment and associated experiences, research topics will include mixed reality, content creation and user interface experiences" - clearly work that couldn't have been done anywhere else."

A Shadow Clone of the Titanic Holywood Operation, which you will be hard pressed to get anyone in a position of authority to talk about or even admit exists. ...... but then you would hardly expect anything else given the Natural History of its Service Remit. Some things you may just have to Continue to Wonder and Speculate about, until such times as you can handle what you know and may be confirmed.

It is nice to see the Scandanavians helping out Hollywood though.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

minor offtopic corrections @amfm

Finland is not part of Scandinavia, but is a Nordic country. The only vikings seen in Finland were traders, afaik.

4. amanfromMars Silver badge

Thanks for the correction, AC.

"Finland is not part of Scandinavia, but is a Nordic country. The only vikings seen in Finland were traders, afaik." ... By Anonymous Coward Posted Friday 21st November 2008 16:08 GMT.

To some/many it is ....... although it is not something to go to war over as it really doesn't matter, does it, although you would think it important the way everything is parcelled up and allocated. .... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavia

Man, did he ever create problems with that exercise!

And maybe we could both agree, AC, on ScanDNAVians, which given the topic would not be inappropriate.

5. Andy

research lab full of hollywood execs?

i trust there will be disections, and lots of experiments along the lines of "will they blend?"

6. pctechxp

Trying to catch up with Sony?

As the Bond films are awash with Sony Ericsson handsets, is Nokia doing this to try to get its products placed in films?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like