back to article Verizon suspends staff for ogling Obama's phone bill

Staff at Verizon face disciplinary action after accessing Barack Obama's phone bill and taking a peek at who the president elect had been calling. The breach was spotted by Verizon, which has put all staff who accessed Obama's account on paid leave while it establishes who had legitimate reason to view the info and who was …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mike Crawshaw

"While you may trust the police with your data..."

That's funny! You should be on stage with material like that....

<obligatory follow-up>

"Well, if you've nothing to hide...."

</obligatory follow-up>

2. Hollerith

I guess Obama gets the same courtesy as McCain now

I remember McCain got his own special generator-support line out of his Arizona HQ, and now Obama gets the courteous protection of the same company.

If he wasn't president-elect, I wonder if anyone would have raised a peep?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

You are insulting the profession

A proper BOFH will not touch customer records or private data even with a double length cattleprod. This is the same as peeking around the user $HOME.

It is a matter of personal pride, the unwritten codex of the industry and the clear understanding that if you get caught it will be your last job. And the proper BOFH _knows_ what is logged and audited in a system so he knows that he will be caught.

Now the people from the helldesk..., the kind of quzi-bofh wannabies created by MSCE course or quazi-BOFH developers... That is a completely different story.

Which reminds me, Bill, you just dared to put the helldesk wannabies in one category with the BOFH. rm -rf ~billray/ seems to me coming unless the user billray is willing to read the man page for luser and execute it with an appropriate value of the -g flag. At least -g 1 for first instance. Repeat offence will require -g 4.

4. Steve

When I were a lad...

in the days when British Telecom was the only game in town, and still 'a part of the Post Office', i.e. state-owned, we all had to "sign the official secrets act". It was made clear to us that if we were caught snooping on such material then dismissal was likely to be the least of our worries...

Is "interfering with the Royal Mail" still a hanging offence?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

A title is required.

And why would I trust the police with that information?

6. Anonymous John

while it establishes who had legitimate reason to view the info

None, I would imagine.

7. Adrian Challinor
    Black Helicopters

"While you may trust the police with your data..."

Oh really?

Where did the leap of faith that I don't mind plod looking at my phone records come from? Not with out a court order, due process and legitimate cause.

Oh - I suppose because I want some privacy I must be a terrorist, hence by definition if I don't want the Police to look at my phone records, they have the right to do so. Hold on, I hear a knock at the door, be back .....

8. Mike Street
    Thumb Down

Really?

You think the police don't have a 'BOFH and his mates'? At least the phone companies have the data for quasi-legit reasons (billing etc.). Why do the police need details of calls made by innocent people?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@Steve Hanging

Not any more under the Postal Services Act 2000 it's now 6 months to 2 years depending on what you did.

I think the last hanging in the books was taken out in 1999? And that was for piracy or treason. But I think in the Channel Isle or Isle of Man you can still be hung for capital murder? Dunno, it's Friday and late!

Mind you would be quality to see some n00b in the docks be told by the beak "...as you have been found guilty and by the power invested in me you will be taken from this place and hung by the neck until you are dead..." (Live Sky Sports 1 and HD Sat 2PM ....)

10. kain preacher

@Hollerith

But he is the president-elect which means you have to be some kind of special idiot to do that.

11. pctechxp

Handset no longer in use

Would this be his Crackberry, sorry Blackberry, by any chance?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Generic flip phone

"flip phone" That's all that was said of the device in the Verizon Wireless press release.

13. martin
    Coat

was suspended now FIRED!

they have now been fired! see here >>>>>>> hxxp://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081121-verizon-employees-suspended-after-peeping-obama-cell-records.html

14. ZM

Telco Workers Ell Oh Ell

Look, I worked for a cellular company here in the States. They paid minimum wage. You want to know the kind of people who work there? Imagine the guys at the burger shack flipping your burgers. Now imagine they can type and you've pretty much got your demographic.

Trusting those people is like throwing money into the street and hoping no one steals it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like