back to article BBC Trust brands Manuelgate a 'deplorable intrusion'

The BBC Trust has branded the Brand/Ross Manuelgate outrage a "deplorable intrusion with no editorial justification". On 18 October, Radio 2 broadcast a show featuring hilarious duo Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross in which they rang thesp Andrew Sachs and left messages on his ansafone which crowed that Brand had slept with the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The BBC

All cock and no balls. What a waste of money.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I am outraged!

The Mail on Sunday told me to be outraged because Jonathan Ross had said the F word to Manuel from Faulty towers answering machine, and an agent called Meg Pool who was with Manuel when he listened to the show said he was offended by the remark.

So I am even more offended by this because the BBC Trust tells me to be offended at the Mail on Sunday taking offense at Meg Pool saying that Manuel taking offense at Jonathan Ross saying the F word.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sLRLhwnuGo

BBC Trust have really undermined the independance of the beeb here. Can we name the old todgers or will the rozzer make it a crime because they fear the BBC Trust may be lynched by an angry mob?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Editorial Guidelines be Damned

For me the really significant issue is the way Ross and Brand react when somebody has a go at them.

I seem to remember Brand being almost in tears when a certain sweary musician called him a c**t. It's all well and good claiming to be edgy, but if you can't take it you shouldn't give it out.

4. Colin Millar
    Stop

The sexual habits of the luvvie class

Are simply too boring to contemplate as are their schoolboy japes

Ross should be sacked for being boring and predictable - for £6m a year we should get a bit of original thought.

5. Dan White
    Stop

So, to recap...

1) Goth Vampire Slut (GVS) wannabe shags bragging fop.

2) Fop brags to grandpa with forty-something teenager in studio.

3) GVS retains Max Clifford, public are suddenly outraged.

4) More people complain than actually heard the show.

5) Fop leaves to do more work with Channel 4.

6) Forty-something teenager gets three month holiday.

7) Max Clifford gets large percentage of fees.

8) Everyone is bored shitless.

Now can we STFU and move on? Pretty please?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Simple - no controversy

Reduce all salaries to below that of the Prime Minister. Simple. The dross (Jonathan Ross) will jump ship and new talent will be given room to breathe. Other execs can either jump ship or be satisfied with their stable jobs with perks (taxi anyone ?) - I'd work for the BBC, the kudos is worth it (if you have friends/family abroad) for £100k, no one needs £200k.

We (including me) are wasting too much time and energy on this - to solve that, replace most of the people on the BBC Trust and give them some TEETH with which to act and make the membership of the trust more dynamic.

Why on earth was no-one given the opportunity to replace Ross on a Friday night - was he or the BBC scared that people would like the replacement more than him ? No Cheeky Chappy is worth £6 Million of our money per year.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Article correction

And finally, Georgina Baillie - desperate for fame and successfully managing to get herself plastered over every 3rd rate tabloid newspaper in the UK - described herself as "happy" with the Trust's conclusions. She insisted: "It is now time to draw a line under the matter and move on."

You're welcome

8. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

I now see why the BBC execs got the boot...

I work in local government so the assembled multitude here would assume I have pretty good experience of under-competent management. When you read the paper though it highlights a really spectacular collection of plot losing and point missing...

Actually, is it just me, or does the whole affair have a bit of a sniff [sorry] of too much bolivian marching powder about it?

[coat required after committing that pun]

9. alphaxion

such a waste

Total waste of time, interesting that it happened just as there was a need to keep peoples minds off of the massive handouts being given to corporate buddies.. I mean struggling companies in these tough times.

Anyone listen to the show? I caught a clip of it just as wossy said "you fucked his granddaughter". Hardly stellar comedy, and as a result we're gonna have an even more watered down programming where the intelligent and boundries pushing comedy is replaced with more utter dross such as Little Britain and Catherine Tate.

Whatever happened to British TV? It was full of satire and biting comedy, when did this turn into US programming? There but to fill in the gaps between adverts.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sir Michael Lyons ex NuLabour

Well it seems the Chairman is called Sir Michael Lyons. He is an Ex NuLabour crony.

He judged the sentiment around this based on what the Mail on Sunday told him was the sentiment.

IMHO the BBC Trust has undermined the BBC here, it was a funny segment and Sachs was not bothered, the mail on Sunday may have been bothered, but they were simply trolling the beeb to see if they could get a reaction, and foolishly the BBC Trust gave them the reaction they wanted to make a story.

Pitiful, how can the BBC defend the difficult stuff if the BBC Trust can't sweat a prank call?

11. Kevin Fields

And this is what you pay a TV tax for?

Well when they say "You can't buy entertainment like THIS!"... apparently you can! LOL

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like