back to article Cybercrooks making easy money from virtual worlds

Online gamers have become a soft target for cybercrime, with three in 10 users reporting the loss of items of virtual property through fraud. ENISA, the European Network and Information Security Agency, launched a campaign to clamp down on scams in virtual worlds, which it warns are having a measurable effect on the real …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Eddie Edwards
    Stop

WTF?

"Clarification of virtual property rights for more adequate theft protection"

Yes, I need clarity. Take chess: If my queen gets taken, should I call the cops? Or D&D: if a chaotic evil character knocks me out and steals my Wand of Healing, should I sue?

Also we need legislation to protect player avatars from monsters intent on killing them. Maybe get a posse together and hunt them all down to make the world a safe place. I *strongly* suspect that the game creators put these monsters in on purpose. There's an obvious class action suit in the making there.

2. Ray
    Dead Vulture

Apostrophy Atrophy

Seen two apostrophe mistakes on this site, today. What is this? The BBC?

3. Dave Ross
    Happy

Wow!

A non-sarcastic article on virtual worlds in El Reg? Quick, pass the smelling salts someone! :)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anywhere the money is...

Anything we want to pay money for, the scum follow.

(At least the hot furry sex is still free.)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

No mention...

No mention in the report about a similar study by Manchester University which went into detail about the restrictions implemented into Runescape to prevent real world trading and stealing of viortualk property. One would think by reading the report that the only online worlds that exist are Warcraft and Second Life.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like