back to article BlackBerry Javelin to spear RIM's Bold and Curve?

BlackBerry Bold and Curve owners had better watch out, because Research in Motion has thrown a sharp new rival into the mix. BlackBerry_Javelin_front RIM's BlackBerry Javelin: sharp looks, but is it smart? The BlackBerry Javelin looks very similar to the Bold, but Javelin’s exclusive UK retailer – Carphone Warehouse – told …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. bertie bassett
    Stop

Doesn't have 3g

Check you're facts el reg. Doesn't have 3g.

2. Tom Richardson
    Thumb Down

Are you sure?

Last I heard, the Javelin didn't have 3G.

3. Frank

Pathetic

"..but Javelin’s exclusive UK retailer – Carphone Warehouse – told Register Hardware that it’s actually smaller than both the Bold and Curve. By how much, CW wouldn’t say."

More likely to be -couldn't- say, because they haven't got a clue.

"..CW told us that Javelin has “the sharpest screen” to give brighter and crisper icons."

Probably an assumption based on their knowledge that a javelin is sharp, pointed object. I bet they didn't know how much 'sharper' it is or how much 'crisper' the icons are either.

Am I cynical about CW? -yes I am.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have a Bold and its small enough

I love my Bold, and I can't imagine my it being any smaller. The key sizes are at their absolute minimum. They are perfectly useful now but just barely, shrinking them more would cause thumb cancer.

A sharper screen would be handy I suppose, but the one I have definitely does the job. I'm not some fool who watches video on a 4x3 centimeter screen <insert eye cancer joke here>.

5. Conrad Longmore

=BlackBerry Curve 8900

That would be the BlackBerry Curve 8900 then, as offered by T-Mobile Germany. So not really very exclusive at all: http://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_curve_8900-2604.php

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How tiddly is that display?

iSquint anybody?

I'll stick with a crappy "smart" phone (SGH-i600) in the pocket and use my wifi-leashed iPod touch, thank you very much. I'm too mean to buy a full iphone 8-)

7. Alex
    Coat

No 3G?

Mines the Bold then...

You can keep the iPhone attempt. I like my qwerty buttons for "quicker- than-touch-screen" typing.

A Bold statement I know...

(You see what I did there...?)

Mine's the one with the antiquated abacus in the pocket.

8. Taomyn

Sharper screen?

It's the same as the screen on the Bold, just in a smaller area so you'll have to squint a bit more.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Bold watch out claim!

I am a newbie on the blackberry front and on smartphones overall. Had the SE P1 before and I thought it had amazing features. The battery life was spectacular though. The Bold is even better. The features are awesome. I longed for an X1 but I thnk I made the right choice.

Lack of 3g makes the Javelin poorer than the Bold. A sharper screen will not be noticeable-refer to <eye cancer joke>! 3.2m Camera...IMO only good 5m cameras upwards can b considered worthy of any mention. Very few of us would bother printing/comparing the merits of anything less than 5m. And no phone out there combine all these features with a 5m camera. The ongoing debate is still valid, if u want quality pictures, buy yrself a camera.

Admittedly, I loved the look of the Javelin. But the Bold is growing on me.

Oh and more importantly, I would never touch CPW. Go direct anytime. CPW are like Sportsworld. Great prices but poor aftersales service.Blackberry FTW, and that is a Bold claim.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like