back to article Microsoft crashes Adobe RIA party

Microsoft has tried to cast a shadow over RIA and cloud news at Adobe Systems' annual MAX conference by talking up Silverlight's roadmap. Barely a month after shipping Silverlight 2 Microsoft has offered a "peek" of the next version of its browser-based media plug-in rival to Adobe's Flash Player on the opening day of MAX. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom

Silverlight has attracted early industry support?

Shouldn't that be... Silverlight has bought early industry support.

2. Steve Davies Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Only to be expected.

So I'm waiting for the Silverlight version of Flashblock for Firefox so I can avoid ever downloading this piece of cow dung.

If I encounter a site so heavily riddled with flash that it is unusable and I wanted to buy something from he store on the site I send an email to the owner politely stating that they have lost a sale due to the way their site is put together. I'll start doing the same with Silverlight riddled sites.

There again, I don't use sites like Facebook so I am probably in a minority here.

Paris, becasue she always wants to be in the SilverLight of press Flash guns.

3. Morten Bjoernsvik
    Linux

Adobe on linux

I think it is great that Adobe releases flash10 64bit first on linux, but I also like to see their development-tools running on linux.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

the whole truth

"Guthrie also flagged up early users NBC Olympics, CBS College Sports, Netflix and - significantly - Blockbuster, who he pointed out had dropped Adobe's Flash for Silverlight for its MovieLink application."

This isn't quite true now, is it. OK, those companies did drop Flash for Silverlight but only because Microsoft gave them wads of money to do so. Why else would an organization so readily drop a proven product for what was nothing but a beta product, unless they were given shit loads of money. Guthrie makes it out like they willingly swapped over when it is more than likely the CEO's willingly swapped over while pocketing the cash and their IT depts were forced with shotgun to head!!

And Microsoft are up to their old tricks again - anouncing vapourware. Adobe release their latest update to Flash and along comes Microsoft teling you what will be in their next version in the hopes that people will hold back and wait for theirs.

5. Kerberos
    Gates Horns

lol

The only people who seem to give a toss about Silverlight are MS. I've yet to hear anyone even mention it, let alone ask for it.

6. Ted Treen
    Gates Horns

Yeah, right!

Isn't "We have plenty of additional cool features we are going to keep up our sleeves a little longer." Microsoft-speak for either "We haven't got a clue how to make it work" or "We've seen it in someone else's product, but haven't yet managed to steal it or bully it from them"?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Adobe vs MS

If Adobe or any other MS competitor wants to put a hurt into MS they should help the Linux/BSD OSs develop gaming on those plaforms. As you know, there are several easy to install MS alternatives now, but many people aren't/won't be interested in them until the gaming issue is settled.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like