back to article Dell Studio Hybrid mini desktop PC

For years, laptops have relied on desktop computer technology hand-me-downs, so it's only fair that Dell's Studio Hybrid is a desktop that makes use of laptop parts. It's done so in the name of miniaturisation. Using Intel's mobile technology, with its greater power efficiency, means Dell can shrink the Studio Hybrid down to a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

why oh why oh why...

Do they make a nice little unit like this then skimp on a wireless connection. I would of only added a couple of quid (the bulk that Dell buy in) and it surely would of ramped up that 80%

2. Pavlovs well trained dog

Can anyone spell Hackintosh?

looks like the gubbins are pretty much identical to the previous generation Macbook, with a better GPU than the current Mac Mini

*ponder*

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hackingtosh

But will it support hackingtosh and Photoshop CS4... now that would be a good combo... but suspect poor graphics performance... :(

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Hmmm ... I think I like ...

OK, so when I saw the picture with the 'wood effect' sleeve I almost barfed coffee onto my keyboard, but I'm thinking that this could be the ideal replacement for my aging, Mini-ITX-based web-server - a lot faster, obviously, and more RAM (the ITX box will only go up to 512Mb) but still fairly quiet and not particularly power-hungry assuming that the Dell laptop bricks supply 110W or thereabouts.

Interesting to note that Dell offer options of 250 or 320Gb hard drives, which implies that there may only be enough space inside to fit 9.5mm high drives - is this the case, or is there sufficient room to fit, say, a 12.5mm high 500Gb drive in future? (yes, I know that adding an external USB drive is an option, but it's not an option I like to pursue unless absolutely necessary - less clutter)

One suggestion for future reviews though: for machines like this, and even desktops, is there any chance of a photograph or two of the machine's innards, just so we can see how things are laid out?

5. shane fitzgerald
    Boffin

Why compromise?

Just buy a standard desktop for the same price but all the power. Then drill a huge hole in the side of the house and run your cables from the monitor out to the dog house. Lots of pc power and no noise! And the pc stays really nice and cool. And the dog stops it getting damp. Also wheelbarrow + doghouse + car battery = a really really cool laptop. Be the envoy of all your friends. Wheel that beauty into starbucks and watch them sigh.

6. Pavlovs well trained dog

@ Shane

actually, my dog would play a brief (and terminal to both) part in getting it wet

7. Simon B
    Thumb Up

I like it

Nice! I like it even if nobody else seems to!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

I'm with Stu...

It is a really daft machine it is just a nothing.. no good at games, and with no wireless/internet is not a media machine either.. (im not running cat5 from my telly to the router!)

However I am pleased to finaly see an HDMI port (and bluray option is great but a tad expensive!) but no wireless means no iplayer, and no streaming... what were they thinking? oh yeah I know the customers an idiot, sell them this today and bring out an new version tommorrow.. Well dear Business, I'm afraid this doesn't wash with anyone with a brain, if you want me to part with the folding make decent product! FFS.

What would be nice would be a box a little bigger with an extra slot.. if this box could be an HD DVR with say a dual Freesat card it would be perfect!

(oh and btw Orange?? NO! f**k u! the futures bamboo! - ermm unless you want £100 for it! Dell F**K OFF!..)

9. Gulfie

Mac Mini!

Apple have been there for yeare, take a look at the Mac Mini - only 120w max power consumption but includes DVDF writer, bluetooth, wifi, network, firewire, usb....

10. Christopher Rogers
    Flame

@ Mini Mac

Then sod off and buy one..... We are talking about windows based PCs that are nice and small and look cool. Not Macs. If were were talking about macs, the machines in the pictures would not be Dell's.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Form follows function?

When mounted vertically, the main feature appears to be an enhanced fall-over-ability.

I suppose it looks a bit better than the old Netgear router 'sardine tins', but inevitably I'm left with the question, if all its innards are rectangular in shape, why have a curved case?

Apple design really has a lot to answer for...

12. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@ Gulfie

Ah, you'd be talking about Apples nearly abandoned machine, so badly in need of a refresh, it makes the Abacus look modern. And I like Apple kit (not a blinded fanboi though).

Lets look at some of the bits:

Choice - Not Apple's strong suit, but here is wireless, blu-ray or DVD, different case styles etc.

Blu-ray - In spite of Job's line about it being too much hassle, people do want blu-ray, and this makes it a nice little mediacenter when combined with HDMI.

Firewire port - One up on the Mac Book, and probably on other Macs in the long term (though a little pointless on a box like this....)

HDMI port for full HD support and, no, I don't think that using a VGA port or DVI is a substitute.

The only downside is the horrors of Vista, but it does come with 2GB RAM, which should just about cope.

Apple need to refresh the mini, or euthanise it.

Paris, cause she'd know where to stick a mini...

13. Phillip

Wireless

Wireless N is available for $70.00 additional in the U.S.. Not sure if this is available for the populous of G.B., but it means the option certainly exists.

14. Vincent

Wireless

For the UK, you have a "Dell™ Wireless 1505 Wireless-N MiniPCI Card EUR" which is included in the price. You don't have the option to remove it or change it or anything.

It's on the "Accessorise my Dell" tab when you start to customise it.

15. Viet
    Boffin

Not exactly a new concept...

More than 10 years ago DEC made the Multia in both alpha and intel versions. It was basically the same idea to cram laptops parts into a design box. Those machines proved extremely prone to overheat and failures due to being (unlike most laptops that are carried around) constantly run at full speed.

Same cause, same effects, I fear.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like