back to article Asus launches 'world's fastest' smartphone

Asus has unveiled its latest smartphone, which, it claimed, is the “fastest business PDA phone in the world”. Under the Asus P565’s shell is an 800MHz Marvell processor that Asus said will help the phone deliver “system performance beyond anything else on the market”. The talker’s also supposedly great at handling “resource- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Could it be?

The one WinMo Smartphone that won't crash?

2. Tom

ugly as sin

it looks like it was the winner in some primary school "design your bestest mobile phone" competition... would look nice as a drawing on the fridge but anywhere else would just be wrong.

3. Jerome
    Happy

Style feature?

Hey, 1975 just called - they want their "style feature" back.

4. Bronek Kozicki
    Stop

not really

"it’s disappointing to see that the maximum HSDPA 3G connection speed is just 3.6Mb/s" - why? In practice connection speed over HSDPA rarely exceeds 1Mbps, unless you happen to sit in a really good spot (in which case others will come along and 3G bandwidth will be shared out soon anyway)

5. matt

Asus at it again

Guys... putting a big ring of plastic around the edge of screens doesnt make it look bigger! You tried it with the Eee and now this. Learn from the Eee, if you think the screen needs to look bigger... make it bigger!

6. Thomas

The processing speed of a mobile phone?

Sounds about as important to my life as the number of stream processors that the whatever-graphics-chip-it-came-with inside my computer has. Who are they hoping to attract with boasts of being the fastest? They seem to be introducing a feature that is intended to improve the user experience into markets that either care more about look and feel and attached gadgets (ie, consumers) or which have definitively chosen a quite different user experience (ie, business people with their Blackberrys).

Until now, I thought nothing said desperation like Windows Mobile. But I guess true desperation is Windows Mobile and shouting about intangible numbers.

7. Jay Cooper
    Thumb Down

Even my mum wouldn't be seen dead with that

It's just that fugly. Sack the design department.

8. gabor
    Flame

250 hrs?

what I find infuriating is when they claim 250 hours standby time for _any_ phone.

sure if it's switched off, sim removed, it might be ok for 10 days then. but wtf does that have to do with real life?

it would make a lot more sense if they told the truth: you'll need to charge it every other day.

fair enough - but why BS about it?

I used to have a nokia 6110, not sure how many here remember it. even that didn't go for a full week (using it like 2 hours a day), let alone 10 days for crying out loud.

9. Tim Bates

Maybe I would buy one. But maybe not.

I would almost consider it if it does the HSPA on 900MHz. But I agree it's ugly. And the screens too small (I was quite fond of the 3.5" on the HTC Blueangel before I squished it with my car).

I'm wondering if the 3.6Mbps limit is one that can be fixed with an update. It seems odd a new product would come out with that limitation in hardware (unless there's a stack of old chips laying around a warehouse somewhere).

And @gabor: Some of my older Nokias used to get a good 10 days standby. I'm not much of a talker, so I used to go that sort of time without a call, and they'd last it.

I do find the claim that ANY WinCE powered phone would pull it off a little unbelievable though.

10. Paul Vigay

Why oh why

did they go and put Windows Mobile on it? That's reason enough for me not to buy it.

I'm waiting for a manufacturer to make a decent Linux based smartphone. I'd have thought Asus of all people might have done that, if only because of their Eee legacy.

And I agree with gabor about battery life. I don't think I've ever found a phone who's battery lasts as long in real life as the blurb said it would. Having said that, my current phone (a Nokia E90) has a pretty decent stand-by life, as I only charge it about once a week, and it's on 24/7.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like