back to article Top 500 supers: Big Blue Roadrunner outpaces Jaguar

The Supercomputing 2008 trade show kicked off this past weekend, and the centerpiece of the annual event, which is being hosted in Austin, Texas, is the Top 500 ranking of supercomputers that comes out twice a year. This time around, Cray's Jaguar has tried to catch IBM's Roadrunner and has come up with feathers in its mouth. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Roadrunner Beep bl**dy beep

Tsk Tsk, The road runner always says its name Nimi!

2. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Inertia

I wonder how the system works where a company is waiting for chip developers to come out with the designs they want and have to wait whilst problems knock the shipment times back.

In which case why is the US (which you say like to have as many such companies afloat as possible) not more astringent about chip fabricators?

I'd have thought they see the danger of having only Intel in business was letting the monopolist too much slack.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

umm excuse me?

Love the technical information on the hardware but could we also know what OS's were represented on the list? pleeeeaaaaaaaaase? Personally I'd like to see what the proportions of various *NIX variants and *NIX like OS's were. Obviously I don't expect to see windows on any of them but that's simply because windows is a pile of wank.

Paris, just because.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Clarkson-esque

Did anyone else read that article like an episode of that popular stupidly-fast car wank program Top Gear??

Meh!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Power

Seems a no brainer - Roadrunner is 2x as energy efficient as the no2. Cray have not quite managed to get back to glory days yet I'd say as you would save the cost of the Roadrunner in power alone over the Cray!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like