back to article Philips Aurea II 42PFL9903H 42in LCD TV

How in-your-face do you want your TV to be? Why not try one with a frame that lights up? This is not just Philips' Ambilight effect, this is second-gen Aurea, where the frame sprays multiple colours at you from the front too. So as the picture in a nature show switches from succulent leaves to a tiger’s face, so the frame …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A urea TV?

are they taking the piss?

2. James O'Brien
    Coat

Ok ok

I was ready to say something snide or bad about this but thats damn cool.

/yep the one thats glowing....thanks

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

HOW much?

£2500 for a television? I don't care how cute it is - it's still only a feckin' telly. They ARE taking the piss - and anyone who buys one must have been ON the piss.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

@how much?

i trust these are more to your standards? - mono screen, lots of valves. 10 minute warm up time, and cost roughly the equivelent to £2500 when they were released :p

http://www.thevalvepage.com/tv/Tele.htm

5. shane fitzgerald

The fools

Have they not heard of the recession? They need to stop this multicoloured tomfoolery and bring out a cheap one that only glow around the edges in black and white.

6. Jolyon Smith
    Coat

Someone buy the reviewer a dictionary

I think they're more than a little mixed up at what "immersive" means.

Something that makes an intrusive aspect of a design less intrusive is not immersive.

"Distracting", maybe.

"Diversionary", possibly.

If there is anything "immersive" about the way this frame works it certainly doesn't come across in the review.

Mines the one with "Bravia" on the back, a Freeview HD decoder built in and lovely deep blacks without having to resort to tricks in the frame.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pricey!

I'll stick with my 6 foot, £400 projector, thx. :)

8. E

Insanity

$3125CDN (as of November 16) for a television?

WTF?

How much would you pay for cable?

It ought to be a privilege to receive the propaganda, no?

9. Christopher Rogers
    Alert

@AC

Or have worked hard/had a bit of luck and has the money to spend on such a telly. Kinda rules out the financial and IT bods then.

10. Eponymous Cowherd
    Thumb Down

You must be joking

£2500 for an "idiots lantern" !!! Recommended ?!? Are you nuts???

11. druck Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Just get a larger TV

The ambilighting effect is one thing, love it or hate it, but the screen bezel just about making the screen look slightly bigger. Why not get a TV which has a couple of inches larger screen and a minimal amount of bezel? it will look much better and is probably cheaper than this one too.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

AC is right - it's WAY too expensive

You can easily get a 42" (or even 46") LCD TV with a great spec for a grand, from any number of reputable manufacturers.

By my reckoning that means Philips are charging about £1500 for some disco lights.

I can't imagine they'll be flying off the shelves in the middle of a global financial armageddon.

13. Joe K
    Thumb Down

Jesus kee-ryst

That is absolutely, ridiculously expensive for ANY LCD these days, short of a 10ft OLED panel or something.

Can't see how that fancy light show adds £1500+ to the manufacturing costs. I'll maybe bite when its below a grand.

£2500, *shakes head*, fucking hell.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does anyone know?

Does the Ambilight thing work well in games?

15. Neil
    Thumb Up

Seeing is believing

I have the first generation £3K Aurea 42" LCD hanging on my wall at home and I absolutely love it! I would never go back to a non-Ambilight TV and I only hope Philips are still producing Aurea models when I'm ready to upgrade in about 7-10 years! :) The pictures in this review don't do the Aurea justice, to be honest.

BTW I work in Financial IT (still!) :)

16. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Love my lantern

I have the first gen Aurea TV hanging on the wall in my living room. It's definitely a marmite like product in that it polarises opinion like no other TV. My kids (18 and 9) absolutely love it, whereas my wife is not so keen (but then she would have preferred a 14" portable tucked away in a cupboard somewhere). So admittedly, for the first few days we spent more time watching the bezel of the TV than the screen itself, but after that initial acclimatisation, the Aurea lightshow genuinely creates an immersive experience - so much so that I now find watching any other TV slightly soulless no matter how good the actual picture is (Pioneer plasmas included). I guess if you've made up your mind that the Aurea is rubbish or gimmicky then nobody is going to change your opinion, but if you're curious, I think you will be presently surprised about how good these TVs actually are.

Having said all that, £2,500 to £3,000 is way too expensive. But then again pricey and its marmite qualities means it will remain quite an exclusive product...

Oh one unexpected benefit - this year there is no need to string the Christmas lights up outside the house, instead I'll just leave the curtains open and light up the street...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like