back to article Drug dealing sysadmin cops to hacking and burglary offences

A former sysadmin faces six-to-12 years behind bars after admitting using his IT skills to conduct a series of burglaries, computer intrusions, and identity thefts in San Jose, California. Andrew Madrid, 34, pleaded guilty to a string of computer hacking, second degree burglary, and id theft offences last Friday. He also …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Throw his arse in the slammer for 10 years

All hackers are scum.

2. Beat Junkie
    Coat

this guy's a lightweight

When I was a sysadmin, I used to work late but not like this guy.

But the truth is that this guy has a few more things to learn from the BOFH, like not getting caught.

Mine's the one with the badge, ID cards, screwdriver, magnet, tape, toupee, glasses, etc ..

3. Dave
    Gates Horns

The real life

BOFH!

4. Chris iverson

No BOFH here

he got caught and no one was locked in a tape safe

5. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Nah

The real BOFH wouldn't get caught. He would have a patsy setup.

Usually, his boss, hopefully named Jim!. (-:

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Please use your powers for good...

...and you won't end up in an 8'x8'x6' metal green cage. It really is that simple.

7. jake Silver badge

What an idiot. &@Paul Smith; @BOFH fanbois

A high level of technical knowledge, and good social engineering skills ... and yet he decided to turn to crime? What an idiot ... of course, amphetamines will do that to you ...

No, Paul Smith, not all hackers are scum. Hackers built the software you are using to connect to the Internet, and indeed the Internet itself. Hackers did a lot more than just those two "little" things ... Hackers started Sun Microsystems, Apple, Inc., Cisco, HP, IBM, Seagate, Motorola, Intel ... need I go on?

As for the BOFH, I kind of wish ElReg would drop it. It was pretty funny 15 years ago (or so), when I first read it on Usenet, but it has become old, tired and derivative of itself.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Woah, he's living the dream.

@Paul Smith

You've just insulted the people that invented modern software. Way to go.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

My hero....

We should all take inspiration from his actions, god bless you Andrew Madrid...

Definitely a real life BoFH...

10. Matt Horrocks

Barcodes

"counterfeit barcodes"? Since when was it illegal to print a barcode... maybe to slap it on a box to get it cheap but printing a barcode isn't illegal.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

and...........

"He reportedly trashed data on its systems before cheekily offering to fix the problem he created. His activities also ran to planting spyware on systems."

i can think of view software vendors that would also be up for this one !!!!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like