back to article MoJ cancels tender for prison mobe detectors

The Ministry of Justice has cancelled a tender for mobile telephone detection equipment in prisons, having failed to find a suitable vendor. The ministry advertised a framework contract in June 2007, planned to last four years and estimated to be worth £400,000, to provide "mobile phone detectors to detect the use of all …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Failed to find a suitable vendor.

Did they try Marigold?

http://www.marigoldrubbergloves.co.uk/

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

First sensible thing...

The MoJ can't even afford to pay their core staff minimum wage, I'm not suprised they cancelled it. I have a family member working for the MoJ, they have recently been directed that paperclips must always be recycled and highlighters are to be shared one per room because the stationary budget has been frozen. Ridiculous, how can anyone expect a fair and expedient trial/hearing under these circumstances.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

(untitled)

"which makes it a criminal offence for staff, visitors and prisoners to bring mobile phones into a prison, with a maximum penalty of 10 years,"

Presumably, if it's specified as "an offence to bring mobile phones...", an already present mobile is OK, thus the person bringing it onsite can keep hold of it providing it doesn't leave the prison (like for court visits etc).

Now, how to make a mobile phone with a battery life of 10 years.......

4. Dennis

Is it me?

Chicken wire. - cover the walls, roofs and windows.

This surely is a tech free and low cash solution.

It's a damn prison, they're behind bars anyway, just make the bars a little smaller....

5. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Gosh, I hope the crims ....

...don't have any ideas about switching the phone off when it's not needed. It would be so unfair ....

6. Anonymous John

@ First sensible thing...

" they have recently been directed that paperclips must always be recycled"

We weren't allowed to use them when I was a Civil Servant. Too easy for extraneous papers to get caught up in the clip.

So we had to cull the breeding colonies of paperclips on our desks every now and again.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bad law.

"which makes it a criminal offence for staff, visitors and prisoners to bring mobile phones into a prison, with a maximum penalty of 10 years,"

Right so the next gadget will be outlawed until a new law is specially drafted for it, then the next then the next etc..

Just ban _anything_ being given to prisoners.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Why not take the obvious approach?

Is the MoJ completely stupid?

Why don't they just negotiate with Ofcom for a special license to install mobile phone blockers per the successful approach used in some USA jails for many years? Not only are they easier to set up, they are cheaper too.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Is The MoJ Stupid?

"Why don't they just negotiate with Ofcom for a special license to install mobile phone blockers per the successful approach used in some USA jails for many years?"

They don't even need to negotiate with Ofcom, because it's Crown property. They can block phones in prisons, and the technology exists to do so, without blocking civilians living nearby.

There is only one conclusion........

This topic is closed for new posts.