back to article MS patch Tuesday includes fix for seven-year old itch

Microsoft's light sprinkling of patches yesterday includes a fix that reportedly goes back seven years or more. Tuesday brought updates from Microsoft for a critical flaw in XML core services, which might allow memory corruption and code execution, and a flaw in SMB (Server Message Block). SMB is code which allows file shares …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Best way to avoid being hacked

Is to remove anything from Microshaft from your computer. OSX or Linux aren't perfect but they are a damn sight better than anything Windozzzzzeee.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Windows Update cripples Windows XP

What I cannot find out is whether it is now safe to install the latest Windows Updates. I refer to, for example, the 11 November headlines at Computerworld:

Flawed AVG antivirus update cripples Windows XP PCs - Deletes critical 'user32.dll' system file, blocks booting.

Reportedly this Update causes HUGE PROBLEMS for particular users. So have they eliminated the particular Update that causes this problem, or what? I am reluctant to use Windows Update until I know that they have definitely removed this particular glitch. I hope that someone can provide reassurance - thanks.

PH - because she knows what to do when you have a 'gl-itch' which needs attending to.

3. amanfromMars Silver badge

A patch on a patch on a patch still leaves a crock and one even more vulnerable ..

How does one Effectively Ever Patch a Sieve which is used for Finding and Filtering Novel Source? Is that the Kernel of Windows Catalogue of Problems?

4. Rory Webber

RE: Windows Update cripples Windows XP

AC - that wasn't a Windows Update, it was an update from AVG Antivirus.

Windows Update is safe to use. If you have AVG Antivirus installed then you could get the problem when that updates.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What has AVG got to do with Windows Update?

Why are you delaying Windows Updates because of a problem with an update to AVG anti-virus?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Windows Update cripples Windows XP "

The 'crippling update' was to the Grisoft AVG AntiVirus program - nothing to do with Microsoft's Windows Update mechanism...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Seven years of effort

"It's unclear why it took so long for Microsoft to fix the flaw"

Their programmers were trapped in a wet paper bag, and have only just been able to fight free?

(Just to make my feelings clear, I do think that MS software tends to be abysmal. Unfortunately, it also tends to be better than the alternatives. I see no conflict between these statements.)

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Oracle falling over these updates too

We recently updated our Stellent document management software to the new oracle branded version. Today, after applying the Windows updates, the document management software says that it has to replace MSXML3.DLL and reboot before it will start.

It turns out that the Windows update replaced version 80.90.1011.0 of MSXML3.DLL with version 80.100.1048.0 and the Oracle check code thinks that 80.100 is a lower version number than 80.90. And of course, when Oracle puts the old version back, Windows System File Protection blocks it and puts the new version back, so we had to uninstall the Windows update until Oracle fixes their update check to compare version numbers, rather than version strings!

10. Scott Evil
    Unhappy

The XML update on my Vista machine fails to install

And after reviewing the error on numerous forums and unistalling the updates i had before windows now faills to update at all.

I had this before when i used BitDefender and the updates were failing because the script/reg protection system was casuing issues with the web based Windows Update via the website, and im on Kaspersky now so im thinknig that AV script/reg protection is stil causiing issues in Vista internal update screen.

After turning it off temporarily i still get install errors, even when i manually dl and run the update.

An error with a reg key is displayed and the msoft installl rolls back.

I get errors trying to install msoft live services as well as they run on a similar patchung system.

I am unsure if its AV sctirpt/reg key blocking thats casuing the issues or if its windows. I had similar errors in XP 64

A reformat seeems to most logical thing to do, unless anyone is familiar with my issues and can help?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like