back to article Microsoft ups search engine bribe

As part of its ongoing effort to shrink the Google gap with shameless bribery, Microsoft is now offering 25 per cent off eBay purchases made by way of its Live Search engine. Previously, Redmond's eBay cashback offer was around 10 per cent. "Christmas presents to be purchased? Budget a bit tight? Microsoft Live Search has a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jason Togneri
    Stop

"a solution for all the parents out there being harassed for big ticket items by our kids"

Well, if you are "being harassed for big ticket items by [y]our kids", you're a bad parents - you shouldn't be letting your kids harass you. Teach the swine a bit of discipline! Kids these days are either impoverished and socially maligned, or spoiled rotten, neither of which is good. Your child shouldn't "harass" you about things - especially "big ticket items" - and you as a parent shouldn't be feeling "harassed". Maybe tell them no? Make a deal, they'll get the "big ticket" item if they understand it's "big ticket" and maybe do something to EARN such an amazing gift? Sheesh. It's no wonder society is going down the drain hole.

2. theotherone
    Gates Horns

um...

um, why don't they just spend all that money on building a proper search engine which people actually want to use? instead of just trying to solve problems by buying them!

3. nobby

poor microsoft

all they are trying to do is break the googledgmony and people decide they're being evil!

who'd have thought?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

lol @ ms

Even if they licked my balls and gave me a reach around, their shit will still be banned from my house. tossers.

5. Shonko Kid
    Gates Horns

There is a Santa after all...

He hails from Redmond, and has a tendancy to abuse office furniture!

Makes robot Santa Claws from Futurama look cute 'n cuddly!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder why it's only running in the US?

Could it be because in Europe, for instance, the competition authorities would come down on it like a tonne of bricks?

7. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

Windows rebate scheme?

So here's how you get N$ to reimburse you your Windows XP/Vista purchase, simply create an item on eBay at a rediculous price no-one else is likely to want (say a rusty nail for $1000), get your wife to Buy It Now on her account, then pocket the $250 cash back from M$! Even after PayPal tax that should cover the costs of your Windoze licence. ;)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Errr..... Have you been asleep for weeks reg?

It was 30% a couple of weeks back, and before that it was more than 10% for some time.

9. Charles Manning

re: Windows rebate scheme?

But then you'd have to use it!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

many thanks El-Reg

I missed this communication from the DarkStar^^^^^^^^ Redmond and without your timely article might never have known that such a wonderful opportunity existed.

Will I use it? No - because I am in the UK

Do I like it? No - because it is nothing short of bribery, short and sweet

Does it change my opinion of Microsoft? No - it confirms they are a moral vacuum

Does it change my opinion of MS Live Search? Yes ... sorry - that was a lie, bugger - I'm getting corrupted by all this microsoft. No - I use google as my default page - With the best will in the world, a couple of quid in my back pocket is not going to persuade me to start putting faecal matter on my toast in place of the lovely sweet fruity jam I currently enjoy.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like