back to article Amazon UK pulls Scientology exposé for 'legal reasons'

Amazon UK has barred the sale of a new Scientology exposé penned by a former member of the church's "elite paramilitary group." The British incarnation of the world's most popular etailer is no longer offering The Complex: An Insider Exposes the Covert World of the Church of Scientology, a 318-page tome from John Duignan, who …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

why not just burn the books!!?!

Here's a amazing interview of a critic describing what the writer has been through :

http://anontube.com/5191/mike-garde-talks-about-the-complex/

But anyway... book banning in 2008: only with scientology...

and these morons still think they control the internet, the media, and the newspapers. lol

I can't wait for the shitstorm. :)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Bookstores have pulled the book too

WHSmith used to have a listing at http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/ProductDetails--9781903582848.html

Foyles and Waterstones are also refusing to take orders now.

3. Ian Ferguson
    Unhappy

Online?

Anywhere it can be ordered online? I wasn't going to buy it until now.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Everyone should order a copy from Amazon US

Everyone should order a copy from the US Amazon site where it is listed as "Temporarily out of stock". If they never ship, then it costs you nothing but it looks to them like their decision is costing them money. If enough people order, then it will look like their behavior is costing them a bundle.

http://www.amazon.com/Complex-Insider-Exposes-Covert-Scientology/dp/1903582849

5. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

SC alert

Am I going to be searched by the Scientology Church just for making a comment?

Yes, I'm that scared about it.

6. Tom

I was not going to buy this...

But I guess I'll have to pick one up now. Seems not to be listed at Amazon.ca so I'll have to use .com

If they hate it this much it must be worth reading!

Ha ha :)

Customers Who Bought The Complex: An Insider Exposes the Covert World of the Church of Scientology Also Bought ...

V For Vendetta Mask

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UVGLHU/ref=pd_luc_sbs_02_02

7. Keith T
    Black Helicopters

UK citizens have nobody to blame but their collective selves for this.

Can you blame Amazon.co.uk when the UK has such ridiculously loose libel laws?

I think the UK needs to fix up its ridiculously loose libel laws.

UK citizens have nobody to blame but their collective selves for Amazon's fear.

Their extravagant libel laws of the UK are affecting freedom of speech in the USA, Canada, and elsewhere. This because those written about about by authors or on web sites anywhere in the world launch their libel suits against those authors in the UK if the book or web page is accessible in the UK. In this way the complainant can have the UK's ridiculously loose libel laws apply to authors anywhere.

Sensibly, Amazon doesn't want to be a party to facilitating distributing this book in the UK. Cowardly, but law abiding.

Don't blame Amazon.co.uk for the UK's lack of freedom of speech. Instead write your MP.

8. Joe Anon
    Alien

The TRUTH is out there...

Do they really think they will be able to stop, the spread of information and truth from getting out. They just don't get IT!Every move they make just creates more enemies, they are truly on a self destructive course. Their world domination UFO Cult is crashing in around them.

Scientology is a totalitarian political movement disguised as a criminal racket disguised as a cult parading as a religion hiding behind 166+ front groups.

9. Anonymous
    Thumb Up

A loophole

It can still be bought inside Ireland ( http://www.eason.ie/look/9781903582848 ) and shipped abroad.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

HAVE TO BUY IT NOW

Silly Cult

11. Keith T
    Go

How to buy the book

In my limited experience I've found publishers are happy to sell single copies directly to the public.

If you want to buy the "The Complex: An Insider Exposes the Covert World of the Church of Scientology", here is the publisher's info:

Merlin Publishing

publishing@merlin.ie

phone: +35314535866

fax: +35314535930

Newmarket Hall, Cork Street, Dublin 8, Dublin, Dublin 8

Item number: 5822

http://publishersmarketplace.com/rights/display.cgi?no=5822

I'm of half a mind to buy a copy of the book too. Just to financially support the author and publisher!

12. Paul

More than one way to skin a scientologist

If enough outlets blocked this and I was John Duignan, I would release it as a PDF on the P2P network. Spam enough forums with links and it would start to move.

13. Ken Lord
    Thumb Up

First Scientology, then all religion

Keep up the fight, Scientology will die with enough effort and education.

Then we will have the experience and know-how to finish the job, to kill off all religions and end the millenia of destruction they have wrought on mankind.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

@Joe Anon

> Scientology is a totalitarian political movement disguised as a criminal racket disguised as a cult parading as a religion hiding behind 166+ front groups.

Surely you mean over 9000? But yeah, totally.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A title really shouldn't be needed...

and if the 'church' hadn't made such a fuss about this, I wouldn't have just ordered a copy.

Many thanks to Anonymous for letting us know about the www.eason.ie site

16. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Scientology is a Cult , now lets see....

How long this stays up ,LOL. Its amazing how many organisations the Cult of Scientologists

have permeated and I wonder if they have got at the Reg yet ?.

17. Lu
    Thumb Up

anybody home?

Scientology a "top secret organisation"? You guys must be kidding or extremely blind. Scientology is really hard to miss, in real life as well as online. And as for the book I applaud Amazon to check with their legal people first before they go and spread "truths" they cannot prove.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

BANNING BOOKS???

What is the deal with Sientenology anyways?

19. Ze Stuart
    IT Angle

@By Keith T

Dear boy, I would note "write my MP," but rather "write to my MP." I know, I know...

...and by publishing a book, how could Amazon be liable to libel? If that were the case, I'm sure someone else would have taken them to court by now, and, I think the Illuminati, I mean, CoS would have to prove libel, which given their nature for secrecy seems somewhat unlikely. What!

Lovely story though, and, if nothing else, what a marvellous advertising technique.

20. Mark Jan
    Alien

Just Bought it thanks!

Just bought it off the Eason site - thanks for the info.

If the silly cults want to ban it, then like others have said, it'll be worth having a look.

I just don't understand how anyone with an ounce of sense can possibly get hooked up with an "religion" invented by a sci-fi writer, and then actually give them money.

There is no mothership you dumb cults!

21. RaelianWingnut
    Alien

@Ken Lord

I don't think Scientology is going to go away but it's possible that with enough oversight and enough pressure it could mutate into a less obviously evil form.

As to freeing ourselves from all religions? I'm not so completely convinced that this would necessarily either achieve much or be a good thing. I'm arguably as atheistic as Dawkins, but... The evil wrought in the name of religion has been wrought by the stupid and unwise, the easily led, animals in human form, and political opportunists; ie the fallible. This accounts for much of the human race; not counting Bertrand Russell and SImon Schama (the cleverest man in Britain; at least by my father's lights).

Just a thought.

22. Lars Silver badge
    Pirate

Disgusting "churh"

But are they not basically all about the same thing, power and money.

No, that is bad thinking and my mean soul. There was a time when the church and all flavours of religion had a very needed and strong inpact on us and our society. But that was then.

And now, if something like Scientology attracts people it only shows that part of us is sliding back down, and that the church has been burocracied, used to easy money and lost its sting.

To day we need the church for awfull things like getting rid of dead people without stumbling and feeling stupid. Priests do it better and the venue is more impressive.

The same goes for weddings and all kinds of state circus happenings.

So there is a lot of room for all kinds of new scum to fill the vacum and collect loose money and pray about power.

I have not read the book, but I do wonder, do thay actually have any other goals than money and the ego of the insiders.

Headhuntig perhaps, Butin, Berluschoni (or what ever), just kidding, I hope.

On the other hand they have some scalps already like the Tomb Cruiser.

23. Matt
    Alien

Waterstones

seem to still be accepting orders.

24. This post has been deleted by its author

25. Moss Icely Spaceport
    Thumb Up

Xenu wouldn't insist on a title

The Co$ is about as evil as they come.

Anything that helps to expose their curse and fakery is welcome.

Since the Co$ shills have given the book the 'must ban' rating, I'm now going to buy the book.

There's really no higher recommendation.

26. Léon
    Coat

Bah

It's sad that Amazon lets itself be intimidated by Scientology (lawyers). There are enough books on any type of religion but almost none (critical, that is) on Scientology. It makes you think they have something to hide. But ... a religion that has to stop people from voicing their opinion? Even the really extremist religions allow you to be critical about them (as long as you don't accompany the criticism with pictures of certain prophets) but nothing can touch Scientology?

Mine is the one putting a copy of the book in your jacket.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

@Lu

" Scientology a "top secret organisation"? "

I believe the author is referring to the massively paranoid secrecy practised inside the organisation, i.e. it isn't secret, it's secretive, rather than any notion that nobody has heard of them. Of course, as a "member" of the CoS, you knew that didn't you?

While I'm here, I do wish people would stop referring to it as a religion. It's a money-making con act which uses cult practices to maintain control over its victims.

I just wish the UK would grow a pair and ban it like Germany has.

28. Matthew

@Ze Stuart

"...and by publishing a book, how could Amazon be liable to libel?"

IANAL, but UK libel laws allow for action against anyone involved in the chain of spreading the libel. This means that newspapers can't hide behind "close friends said it, we're just reporting what they said".

It also means that the corner shop can be sued for selling a newspaper that contains libel. As they don't tend to have deep pockets they don't tend to get sued that much.

29. Tom Austin
    Black Helicopters

Yep, let's order it, make it a best-seller...

...unless, of course, this is a cunning sales stunt.

Still wonder to this day why a sci-fi-based tax-dodge is still taken this seriously by its adherents. I mean, am I right in having gathered that it's basically about alien-being Thetans, trapped in volcanoes by hydrogen bombs? Seriously?

(Also, why hydrogen bombs in particular? What's wrong with basic atomic bombs? Or more hi-spec nuclear / neutron? Is there some kind of specific blast yield that only hydrogen bombs can deliver? Confused.)

Black helicopter because I think black helicopters are cool. No other reason.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thanks SC!

If you hadn't banned it, I'd never have heard about it!

31. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Never heard of it....

but will have to buy it now!

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can you blame Amazon.co.uk when the UK has such ridiculously loose libel laws?

Err... A bookshop can't be held responsible for libels in the content of the books.

It's more likely the publisher has come under pressure and has stopped the print run.

>...and by publishing a book, how could Amazon be liable to libel?

It isn't and Amazon doesn't publish the book, they're just a bookshop.

33. Gulfie
    Black Helicopters

Hehe

Just ordered my copy, should be a good read, and then I'll stick it on ebay - or maybe Amazon ;-)

And then go underground.

Used to pass a Scientology tent in central Birmingham every day a couple of years ago when they were on a recruitment drive, and they never gave up trying to get me in 'for a chat'.

No chance, I'm an atheist through and through, and deeply mistrust religion - or, more specifically, anybody actively pushing religion.

34. druck Silver badge
    Thumb Down

The Amazon Cult

'fulfilment centres' 'fulfiment networks'? Amazon sounds just like a cult too.

35. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Cult of Greed

Only in America, worship of the mighty dollar. Oh, and Xenu.

Check this out for another fascinating insight into the Sea Organisation from a former brainwashing victim:

http://www.villagevoice.com/2008-06-24/news/Scientologys-Crushing-Defeat/

/could even Paris be stupid enough to join these morons?

36. Ferry Boat

Sitting on the Lu

@Lu - Amazon can still sell it. If there is libel in it then the author can be sued for that. Anyway, what with your thinly veiled defence of the cult you must be some little monkey working away for the betterment of the cult. Oh, and did I mention it's a cult? It's a cult you know.

Keith T is correct. The libel laws in the UK and the way they can be applied has prevented many books from being published or available.

37. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

No title

Foyles still accepts orders for this book, they only say 'the delivery time is uncertain' - according to their site most likely one to three weeks. I just ordered and will remind them regularly that delivery is still outstanding ;-)

@Lu - anybody home?

Actually The Cult of Scientology itself is not a top secret organistion, but they might have some inside operations they don't like the general public to know about. But this probably is true for the Catholic Cult or any other ruthless money making machine as well.....

38. Ash
    Joke

Two Words

Streissand Effect.

39. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Can you smell rotting flesh?

Like any PoS CoS story, this comment board is attracting the Cult Zombies! They're shuffling over like moths to a flame to offer seemingly impartial and balancing opinions; but an obvious lack of the geeky-cleverz gives the game away.

Quick, nail the door and get the shotguns!

"calling scientology a religion is like calling Dunkin' Donuts a restaurant"

40. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Every group gets a bashing

I think they take themselves way too seriously, and they are actually creating a cult like feel to them.

Sure they do some odd things, but it is closer to the masons, and other groups of that ilk, not particularly harmful or even that esoteric, I am sure the masons are a bit more racey.

But, if you go round banning every book that says something non complimentary you generate far more negative press than the books could ever do.

They are odd, but look around most groups are, take synchronised swimming or the girl guides all kinda odd when you think about what they have to do to conform; weird leg movements in some fluid at the same time, and odd shaped toggles - bunch of weirdos the lot of them.

41. Mike Crawshaw

Waterstones

Are accepting orders online with a wait period due to stock (just ordered one, £9.49, c2wks wait) and still have it on the shelves of some stores, so it looks like they're not (yet) following Amazon's lead.

Available in store (at time of checking) at:

Hampstead

Piccadilly

Cardiff

Southampton

Glasgow

Plymouth

42. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Alert!

Comments are now suspended. Anyone failing to heed this notice will see their budgie meeting a nasty accident.

43. goboy
    Flame

Scientology is a cult

Scientology is a cult.

My two cents.

44. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

waterstones

waterstones just took my order, although maybe the email confirmation will say differently

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/displayProductDetails.do?sku=6307436

45. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Religions

Does the Pope care about souls going to Heaven or Hell? Probably in some sense.

Does the Archbishop of Canterbury care about souls living good lives? Certainly

Does the Dalai Lama want souls to achieve enlightenment? Presumably

Did Jones actually believe in "Revolutionary Suicide"? Would appear so

Does Claude Vorilhon aka Raël really believe he met an alien named Yahweh in 1973? Yes, poor guy,

Do David Miscavige and his handlers and senior cronies believe anything about Scientology other than it being a bloody good con that they're not about to give up? You're kidding, right.

46. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Simple solution to scientology

Stop making religious organisations tax free!!

I'm not sure if they have actually achieved the status yet, but even if they are, being a religion is not excuse for not having to pay tax.

47. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Pah

Scientologists? Pah... Blaintology is where its at

48. Nic Brough
    Black Helicopters

Poink

I have nothing to add, except to those who might want a copy.

Try Blackwells

<I can hear Travolta and Cruise in the approaching 'copters...>

49. jon

no go with the publisher

I just called the publisher to try and order a copy, but they will not supply the book to the UK

50. Richard Cross
    Joke

Hypocrisy Anyone?

Am I the only one to notice how many people are lambasting Amazon for not standing up to the Scientologists, yet they seem unable to post their names to go along with their comments?

I happily await the arrival of my copy (please don't let me down Waterstones - I'm a new customer!).

For those of you new to these debates about Scientology and it's beliefs, the best source of education is of course South Park - the "Trapped In The Closet" episode. It's out there on the Interoogle and is funny on several levels. There's also a South Park "Blainetology" expose, but that is just a fantasy religion based on the imagination of a crazy outsider for his own profit, whereas Scientology on the other hand, err......

51. Rykan
    Go

No problems yet

I just ordered a copy from my local Waterstones - no problem at all.

Whether it will turn up or not is another matter, I suppose.

52. David Kelly

Just bought it ..

from the Eason site. Thanks AC for the link.

53. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

sad thing

sad thing is this scientology does not require suicides but frontal lobotomy as well as very deep wallets.

54. h4rm0ny

Print on demand?

If he can't find distributors, the author could possibly look at selling on print on demand sites such as Lulu.com. At least that way there would be less invested money at risk, though it would cut into profits.

55. Wize

Banned books always sell more.

I think I might just go and get a copy.

And why is everyone making the same typo? L and N are close on the keyboard, but not that close.

56. Russell Preece
    Joke

Thanks you stupid cult...

Just ordered my copy from Waterstones! :o)

Joke, not because I haven't bought it, but because that's what the Cult of Scientology is...

57. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Thumb Up

A full PDF will surface from somewhere.

Enough people hate the SC scumbags, it will come. With no previous interest, I for one will gladly print it, read it and leave it somewhere public for someone else to read, hopefully someone who is not a pathetic brain-washed moron, but someone who can still make their own mind up!

58. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Axis of evil

Now North Korea is off the list, maybe Scientology can go on it. It's far more dangerous than the rest of those on the list.

59. Jason
    Thumb Up

I want a personality test!!

Come and give me a test, so that I can laugh until my bollocks drop off, then I can slap you and sue you for the distress of not being able to have children

60. alan
    Happy

@ Ze Stuart

When giving out tips on spelling or grammer, please try and not to mis-spell the word "not". As in I would note write to my MP.

:)

Please please please let there be no typos in this :)

61. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Censorship!

This book needs to get published via Wikileaks, where the CoS can't get it removed.

62. Ferry Boat

@alan

Would that be 'grammar'?

The curse of the typo has stuck. Maybe Xenu made you do it.

63. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

drop in for a chat

i chatted to them and he told me a nice story then asked if i wanted to join i thought is was a sci-fi book club then we told me it was a church. i laughed (think i upset him) then again i was drunk (last exam in the morning then to the pub at lunch time.) can't even remember the story now. oh well but then again i ask those nice reglious people who knock on the door how they justify the cursades. that upsetts them too.

i know pagans and it's disappoint the naked free love pagans are just swingers who are tring to justify it and COS members are just people who want to be religous but can't bring themselfs to actually "worship a god that's like so last century" .

probable buy the book now though.

for those wondering i have my own region it's great i'm the pope of it and i have no believers no churches and waant no money and my book of faith goes like this

"if their is a god cool see you in the after life, if their is not, well i won't. "

64. Scott
    Thumb Up

@Cult of greed

Had an hour to kill at work and read that article, very good i just feel sorry for the guy stuck between lawyers on one side and the CoS on the other for 30 years.

http://www.villagevoice.com/2008-06-24/news/Scientologys-Crushing-Defeat/

65. Matthew Collier
    Thumb Up

Ordered mine today from Books Etc.

I went to Waterstones in the City (Leadenhall) today at lunchtime, and they thought they could get it, but when they phoned round (including their two distributors, apparently), they can't.

However, Books Etc. (Broadgate Circle) have it (but reserved for people who have ordered), and took my order.  Lead time of up to 14 days...

I too hadn't heard about it, but it sounded interesting, and also because of the fact it has been pulled by Amazon, made me also decide to buy it, where previously, I probably would have not.

66. Norman Webster
    Alien

WHY PULL THE EXPOSE AMAZON ?

I find it extremely sad that an organisation like Amazon has had to back down to pressure from the ruling council of the Church of Scientology over the publishing of this book. What has happened to free speech, and exactly what are these loons from this so called church afraid of!

Could it be that finally we were through this book, going to see exactly what a disgraceful organisation it is. One where free speech is not allowed, and only totally mindless acceptance of their preaching is permitted. Descendents from "Thetans" indeed.

Is nobody going to stand up to these dangerous people?.

Dr Norman Webster

67. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Once again...

...no such thing as bad publicity!

I would now like to personally thank "The Church" and Amazon of course, for making me aware of this tome, without which I would not have the opportunity to learn what right truly nasty organisation "The Church" really is.

68. Mark
    Stop

@Matthew

"IANAL, but UK libel laws allow for action against anyone involved in the chain of spreading the libel. This means that newspapers can't hide behind "close friends said it, we're just reporting what they said"."

Yes, you definitely ARE NOT a Lawyer (or solicitor for UK residents). They are not liable.

The worst that can happen is that the court can ban the books and Amazon et al would have a stock of books they cannot sell.

THAT IS ALL.

Of course, Scientology won't hold for JUST that, they'll find the CEO and pressure him. They'll find people who work on the packing lines and threaten them, dig up dirt and "explain" things to them. And, because they scam rich stupid egotistical actors who give them pots of dosh, they can afford to do this and hide from the consequences by suitable shielding or lawyering.

But your assertion is just FUD.

Amazon can't be had for libel, "even in the UK". They can find themselves after a court case with 10,000 books they have to send back to the publisher, but that's the worst, the VERY worst that could happen legally.

69. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Tom Tom and the Cruisers

I was a member of the Church of Scientology once, it ended up killing me, but I got better.

70. Stephen McLeod Blythe
    Thumb Down

@Keith T

Err.. "write your MP"? I assume you're not a UK patriot then.

We have a distinct legal system in Scotland with massive differences - libel included - so the post about "UK libel laws" is misleading and factually incorrect.

71. John H Woods Silver badge
    Flame

N and L

... are adjacent on a sensible keyboard, where they occupy the positions of L and P on the qweerty keyboard favoured by those who like to strain their fingers.

... real Amazons were famous for their bravery --- cutting off one of their breasts to be better warriors. This Amazon seems to have cut off its own balls by mistake.

Scientology is a cult and its 'elite' are the dregs. They exploit the vulnerable with a bogus 'religion' that was invented as a money making gambit. I got sucked into doing one of their 'questionnaires' once and realized it was a set up. I used the randomizing function on my watch to fill it in and was later told that it showed distinct personality traits. When I challenged them as frauds I was physically ejected from the building.

Not AC because 'm not frightened of frauds and nutters.

Dr John H Woods

72. Alan Fisher

That's the point

Scientology is only a cult for the lower eschelons....for those higher up I suspect it is very much about power, influence and extremely dangerous thinking....exclusionist, preparatory thinking

when we think about Wako, the Moonies and other such "Apocalyptic" cults we see what is possible. Now add a bankroll totally many millions of dollars. Now think about it again.

There is a danger with such a well funded paramilitary organisation active in what is considered to be the most powerful country in the world, protected by it's prothelisation of influencial (celebrity and legislative) figures, and spreading throughout the so-called civilised world. The danger is this, what is their agenda?

I'll have to head over to Easons during my lunch and see if they have a copy or two (maybe get some 'spares' in to sell on e-bay in a month or two *wink*) before I make any judgements though. But the whole dismissal of these people, these powerful and severly misguided people, as a harmless cult is the most dangerous thing of all.

They see us theton plagued folks as inferior and even dangerous to their 'clear' selves remember

73. Frank Seeger
    Thumb Down

Order cancelled

Foyles just cancelled my order. They say they "the book has no distribution rights for the UK". Whatever that means, I would assume if there was a "lack of rights" it shouldn't have been in their catalogue in the first place. Anyway, I'm supporting Irish retailers now....

74. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Unbelievable

I saw a link to this story on http://www.consumerfury.com and couldn't believe it. It isn't like Amazon is a small company with no legal resources. Why on earth would they let a crazy religious group like this push them around? Fight back like you have a pair, Amazon!

75. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

@Lu, re "truths"

"And as for the book I applaud Amazon to check with their legal people first before they go and spread "truths" they cannot prove."

If booksellers only sold books containing proven truth, the only books they'd sell would be maths texts. The only kind of "truth" that can be proven is a tautological (ie formal, or mathematical) one. (And most of those can't even be, as Chaitin demonstrated.)

Don't get me wrong - maths books are fine for many purposes; often I've stayed up late chuckling over the likes of Strang's _Linear Algebra and its Applications_.[*] But once in a while I like to read something ... speculative.

[*] "The rowspace is orthogonal to the nullspace"? I'll say! Har!

76. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Tom Austin

'(Also, why hydrogen bombs in particular? What's wrong with basic atomic bombs? Or more hi-spec nuclear / neutron? Is there some kind of specific blast yield that only hydrogen bombs can deliver? Confused.)'

See it's cynics like you that spoil Scientology for everyone. L Ron spent literally *minutes* doing the exhaustive 'research' needed to come up with the 'evidence' that makes "Dianetics" the sort of book it is - a doorstop.

Somehow L Ron got that bit right*. H-bombs can have an unlimited yield, you're just limited by the amount of fusion fuel. Old-fashioned, bargain basement atom bombs are limited to less than a megaton - and here's a bit that will make the heart of a Brit swell with pride - the biggest ever fission bomb explosion was BRITISH - Orange Herald at 720 kilotonnes - even Xenu would be scared by that.

* I 'spose it's like monkeys and typewriters. If you leave a really shite science fiction author in front of a blank page long enough they might get something right. I think the BBC is trying something similar with their technology correspondents.

77. David Reynolds
    Pirate

Where to buy the book the scientologists don't want you to read

It's available from Eason Internet books with a max shipping cost of 9 Euros (book is 12.99 Euros). Ships internationally and mine is being shipped today to UK.

Sucks book scientology.

http://www.eason.ie/look/9781903582848/Complex/John-Duignan

78. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

F**k wits

How can any one allow them selves to be F**ed over by such a pile of pants. Anyone read Jame Carse or Sam Harris? Or Dawkins. How the feck can anyone believe such crap, and Tom de midget and his alien mates are the worst. Free your mind from religion and free the world. spread the love not hate.

Please Amazon and other dont let these headbangers dictate our live via your conduits, in fact dont buy the poxy book it just adds to the whole scam. Ignore all faith. See the little child stoned to death in Somalia, why cause "God" said it was the right thing to do. These nutters drag us all back to the stoneage..Scumbags. Religion is the root of all evil.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>GOBSHITES<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<.

79. anon

A CORRECTION

The fastest growing cult? The cult DOES have a few high profile stars, although with the exception of "Pulp Fiction," Travolta is mainly known for his '70s flicks. He's actually known more for Scientology these days. So really only TWO high profile stars (Smith, Cruise), both allegedly with secrets. But the stars are unbelievably coddled and live in sound proof booths. Like ALL cults they're told criticism and outside influences are corruptive and they buy it. Why not(?) they also pay for big bucks, for mega-doses of mind control, uh I mean audit counselling.

I doubt it has EVER had many members, which is part of the reason it's flown under the radar for so long. Seriously, how many people have ever known even one Scientologist? They fiddle with numbers. Even people who buy one book, or have long since left the cult, um, church, remain on their mailing list and are counted. Alien math.

It's appears to be lethal once a person is ensnared, but it seems harder to ensnare them in THIS, than in many cults, I mean RELIGIONS. Most people who try it move on.

It's the crime syndicate aspects and the ruthless legal team who practice racketeering with impunity, that are the greater threat, than any alleged escalating membership.

ps. Yeah just bombard AMAZON US with orders.

80. Mark
    Happy

Here's what we in the UK could do

In the UK only the copyright owner can instigate a copyright case against infringement.

So, someone who has gotten hold of a copy, OCR it and let it get hosted over here in the UK. If the copyright owner claims infringement, offer to pay the cost of one book and point out that since the copy is not apparently for sale, this constitutes a full and final settlement.

Heck, since they are all scared for the poor author, offer to send him a cheque personally.

If the Scientologists try, in the UK they have no standing to sue. And barratry is quite a serious offense. Add perjury to the list, too.

81. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

RE: F**k wits

"How can any one allow them selves to be F**ed over by such a pile of pants."

Just read chapter 2 of the book.

The author has a pretty gritty personal history, and this is partly what made him more susceptible to their techniques.

His troubled upbringing and his isolation meant he was just the sort of target that they were looking for.

At first he thought they were a group of psychiatrists and they seemed to be helping him.

Once you feel indebted to someone, they have you where they want you.

"It's easy to persuade someone you have the answers they want, if you know exactly what they are looking for"

This topic is closed for new posts.