back to article Eclipse kills open-source SOA projects

The open-source Eclipse Foundation is terminating several service-oriented architecture (SOA) projects thanks to lack of interest. The Application Lifecycle Framework (ALF), initiated in 2005 to solve integration problems of application lifecycle management (ALM) for SOA developments, failed to attract committers beyond Serena …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Kelly

news?

Some projects which got little interest are now dead and this is news?

2. Ian Skerrett

Mature community

I actually think killing projects is a sign of a healthy open source community. Not every idea is a great idea that succeeds. A mature open source community realizes this and has a process for end of life. This is what we have done for these projects.

btw, here is a list of other projects we have archived. http://www.eclipse.org/technology/archived.php

Ian Skerrett

Eclipse Foundation

3. Jodo Kast
    Alert

Yes, it is.

Some people where using it. This is a high-profile project, despite the lack of dev interest. It's a press release.

4. Kanhef

Too many acronyms

"STP-SOAS" expands to "Service-Oriented Architecture Tools Platform - Service-Oriented Architecture System". Ten points to anyone who can clearly explain what that actually means in fewer than 30 words.

5. Oisin Hurley
    Black Helicopters

Eclipse doesn't kill projects; Projects kill projects

A slow Friday in Vulture Central, I reckon.

The two components (not projects) of the STP project that are being archived are getting the treatment because their communities evaporated. No community, no component, into the archive it goes, nothing to see here, please move along.

6. BlueGreen

Actually ALF sounded pretty good

Trouble is, the more useful stuff tends to be more abstract quite often, so is harder to see how it fits in.

ALF could perhaps be one of those things you don't recognise the value of until you are floundering deep in the problem it solves.

7. Jean-Luc

@David

I think so, though I see your point. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but it seems like the SOA KoolAid is now being scrutinized to see whether or not it is useful. I'm sure it is, sometimes.

8. Mr B
    Thumb Up

YESSSSSSSSSS

Next Eclipse commits Seppuku!!!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS again ... and I won't need to see a psychotherapist for all the damage done to my nerves.

9. Alex
    Coat

Eclipse is getting bloated

I work for a company on a bunch of Eclipse plugins. My personal feeling is that as the time passes Eclipse is getting severely bloated and more and more inefficient. OK, there are some cool things, some useful things, some fun things, but still... Often, when I'm in a hurry I don't have time to wait for Eclipse to start, then recompile 15 projects that don't need recompiling, then getting stuck at "Launching Plugin (51%)" for about a minute. I'm seriously thinking on switching back to "vi" and batch files.

10. karakal

@Kanhef 30 words?

Not everything can be explained in 30 words. So everything, not explainable in 30 words is bad? I don't think so...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder if eclipse.org

was even using these tools themselves?

Probably not :) It is much simpler to keep things coherent using basic tools, than it is to impose from above with some all encompassing tool, well it is for developers. For normal users they tend to like the suites and the coherency but that is also where they tend to get the problems as well.

Personally I like the tools that are lean and mean, just do what they need to do and nothing else, it becomes tiresome having to work around frameworks just because they missed a bit you wanted. And it is a very bloated way to do things.

The blurb on the site is quite amusing as well, it makes a lot of claims without quantification, and it ignores any negative aspects of the approach, most developers know that whatever path you take will come with compromise; there is no silver bullet.

12. James Anderson
    Happy

Projects looking for problems

SOA has a rich set of open source tools already. Most of these are simple modular applications which dont require any special plumbing for eclipse or other IDEs or

are complete standalone tools.

Why should an environment where everthing is configured in well defined XML formats require anything special in the way of life cycle management?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why Should OS Developers...

These days I wonder why anyone develops in Open Source. Sure has benefits - but even bigger benefits for big commercial organisations who don't want to pay developers or the normal development costs..... And who are the real benificiaries? IBM, HP, Linux distro owners like Novell..... And all the big corps that don't want to pay, just use for free what others have developed.

Open source has achieved it's objectives - it's made the big guys sit up and think. And by thinking they just see Open Source as another way to make money - but even bigger bucks these days.

14. DJ
    Flame

Re: Too Many Acronyms

<<<"STP-SOAS" expands to "Service-Oriented Architecture Tools Platform - Service-Oriented Architecture System". Ten points to anyone who can clearly explain what that actually means in fewer than 30 words>>>>

B*LLSH*T that sounds good but nobody knows what it does, but we can sell it for a five figure sum with followup five year support contract.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

good news

eclipse loses weight

This topic is closed for new posts.