back to article Bloggers getting bigger and messier

Blog front pages are now large pages of images and scripts rather than the pared-down text pages of old. The average-sized front page is 934KB and 35 per cent are over 1MB, according to researchers who looked at Technorati's top 100 blogs. Images were the main contributor to front page size - making up 61.3 per cent of total …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And while we're on the subject...

What is with companies putting the entire article, text and pictures, into their RSS feeds? You're turning RSS into HTML. What's the point? I'm looking at you Guardian webtards. And feedburner with their bloody adverts!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sad

What an appallingly sad waste of time, researching blog file sizes. Regular readers will have it cached anyway.

If anyone ever needed to get out, see the sunshine and get a life it's these people.

3. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Coat

They could save even more space...

by not bothering with their self-indulgent pointless blathering...

Mine's the one with the 'I'm *so* in touch with web 2.0' on the back.

4. Dave
    Alert

Offended

What could you possibly think that I would think that you meant with that title - the story content was almost exactly what I though it would be - except that I thought you might also mention that the technical quality was poor.

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge

No ! No ! Nooo !

Blogs DO NOT need to be optimized !

They NEED to be as precise and as big as possible, because BIG means MORE INFORMATION (and, especially, lots more time to load).

So PLEEAAASE do not tell them to optimize anything. I'm looking forward to upwards of 30 minutes load time on dial-up, and at least 5 minutes on broadband.

Come on guys, you can DO it (no I won't use that other slogan - not yet).

Maybe, just maybe, when their bloated, useless rantings are 100MB a page, maybe those clueless nitwits who have nothing better to do with their time than read inane babblings from nutjobs with nothing important to say will finally decide that it's not worth their cheap time and go watch TV.

At least on TV they might learn something.

And the nutters with too much time on their hands to say nothing in very large; badly punctuated, sentences: will finally just spout their inanities in the virtual desert they deserve.

6. Jodo Kast

Get used to it

You are no longer in control.

The bloggers can do what they like. Get over it.

7. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Slow connection, or slow users?

Presumably, users who are stuck with slow network connections,* and for some reason want to read a bunch of bloggers who fill their pages with images, would simply disable automatic loading of images, and only download the ones that seemed like they might be important.

Or perhaps they're idiots who'd rather waste half a minute waiting for unnecessary eye-candy on each page than figure out how to do that.

(*) Insert rant about today's spoiled kids and their "slow" 256kbps connections.

This topic is closed for new posts.