back to article iPhones grease eBay's quarter

eBay today reported a 50 per cent increase in net profit, with its Marketplace, PayPal, and Skype businesses all showing growth. For the quarter ending June 30, the auction king's Marketplace revenues totaled $1.29bn, representing a growth rate of 26 per cent, while PayPal revenues reached $454m, a 34 per cent increase. And …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. heystoopid

Not Bad

Not bad for a company that can be used to fence stolen goods and wares , sell pictures of items rather then the real deal without penalty and send cash across borders as happened recently to one young lad buying a used PS2 in the UK , when he opened the box , it was literally stuffed full of money and not the game box he wanted!

Choices?

2. Chris

Cash

The lad got the PS2, and 44k.. why the hell can't I be that lucky? 44k is a bit better then two games, IMHO.

3. Nigel

Ebay Needs Competition

Given how much it now costs in ebay and paypal fees to sell on ebay, I am not surprised that they made a huige profit. They essentially operate a monopoly and thus can charge what they like.

I would love to see the likes of google set up an auction site. My feeling is that google is one of very few internet companies that would be able to take on ebay

Nigel

4. foxyshadis

Bitter? Me? Nah.

So that's where all those rate and fee increases went, since they obviously didn't go into upgraded servers or site features. I guess you can make a lot more money as a stockholder than a seller, now. (And maybe I have this year, I should check my statements sometime....)

5. Greg

Re: Not Bad

For teh last chuffin' time! eBay do NOT make those sales. They don't sell the pictures, fence the goods, or produce many of the oddities that appear on eBay. They're just a marketplace, same as my local real world market. People pay to pitch up there, so do you expect the market to hire a henchman for each and every stall? Don't be stupid.

eBay do try to regulate things but eBay holds millions upon millions of auctions at any one given time. Do YOU fancy trying to admin all those pages, smart-arse?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iPhones

They'd need greasing where I'd like to put them.

Assume the position Steve ...

7. Joel

There are others....

Ebay is not the only one. For example, there is QXL in the UK, who have been doing online auctions since 1997.

However, when you are selling things, you want the maximum number of bids, so you tend to move towards the largest market.

Buyers can't find anything they want, so they give up looking there as well.

I think it will be difficult for another player to enter the market.

8. heystoopid

But then again!

But then again , there are better bargains and venues to find and purchase secondhand goods and actually see them working too with warranties and not get ripped off either like the 0ne in Ten odds on Ebay !

Choices , as always you get what pay for , and pays for what you get !

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like