back to article Official: BlackBerry gets Wi-Fi, VoIP

The rumours were true. Research In Motion (RIM) has officially confirmed its development of the BlackBerry 8820, the first handset in its history to feature built-in Wi-Fi connectivity. It also supports Micro SDHC memory cards. RIM BlackBerry 8820 RIM's 8820: the first BlackBerry with Wi-Fi Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA) …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Upgrade

Damn, and I only have had my 8800 for about 2 months (if that). Wonder if o2 in the UK would allow me to upgrade again, the WiFi access could be useful when in coverage areas for cutting down on certain costs!

Still, nice to know the rumour wasn't infact vapour! :)

2. alternative

Title

It seems the 8820 is already listed with Orange as 'coming soon' on the UK site which sounds promising. Does not actually say how soon though....

Limited tech specs include wi-fi.

3. Matthew Karas

Pedantic, I know, but...

...your comment that the RIM 8820 is "the first handset in its history to feature built-in Wi-Fi connectivity" is not true. There used to be a wi-fi model called 7270, though that model did little else, and was probably aimed at internal corporate Wi-Fi networks. The specs are still available:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices/device-detail.jsp?navId=H0,C65,P324

Matthew Karas

4. Morely Dotes

The question is....

Where in North America can I buy a femtocell base station? There's nothing wrong with my existing handset, but I'm fed up with airtime charges.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like