back to article Oki okays release of 'jumping robot leg' chair

Japan's Oki has developed an office chair that, it claims, can jump. And we thought all they were good for is spinning around and skating along on the casters. Oki's chair, curiously codenamed 'Leopard', employs what the company's boffins call a "robot leg", with the bit for your bum equivalent to the thigh. The calf, ankle …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

The Brothers Karamazov*

That's one seriously over-enguineered piece of furniture.

A title was required so I borrowed one from Fyodor Dostoevsky.

2. Paul

ROTM

A great idea ... until the machines rise up and users are thrown headlong into the nearest wall when they try to get up.

3. randomtask
    Coat

Olympics

Do you reckon if i strapped two of these bad boys to my existing legs that I could propel myself into the record books ahead of Usain Bolt in 2012?

If not at least i'll be able to be comfortable whilst watching said event.

-- Mine is the coat that give you a clip round the ear and tells you to "wise up" from time to time.

4. TeeCee Gold badge

Nothing new here.

There've been TV ads around since Jesus was a lad offering "chairs that help you stand up" which seem to work in pretty much the same way. There's a general tendancy to "velour armchair that your granny would like" in the more standard product though.

I wonder what the size of the "techy office chairs for coffin-dodgers" market is?

5. Sam

so if

Ballmer goes near it, it can kick him inna fork?

6. Jerome
    IT Angle

Notes from the Underground

That's one truly bizarre piece of engineering. Are they suggesting it requires a whole "robotic leg" to carry out a task which seems ideally suited to... a spring? Also, where does the whole "jumping" thing come into it? As far as I can tell, this just sort of bends.

7. Psmiffy

Tim "the toolman" Taylor

this gives rise to all sorts of really nasty BOFH type of ideas involving advanced hydrolics, remote controls and ... other people.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

I have to admit

That the picture from the side looks like some kind of awful probe. If you're under 10 stone does it pitch you into orbit?

9. Graham Marsden
    Happy

Will the BOFH...

... be getting one of these installed in the Boss' office in case there is the need for an unfortunate incident of defenestration...?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only in Japan

would a chair be considered inadequate without a shitload of springs and pulleys inside. Wake me when they do a flying, submersible version with Bluetooth remote controlled bum-warming, an MP3 player and a USB socket or three

11. brainwrong

What?

Is sitting down really that fucking difficult? What's wrong with people nowadays they're so fucking lazy nobody can be arsed to do any actual work anymore I hate lazy c*nts.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Cant....resist......pun.........

Finally, you can have a battle bot that REALLY kcks ass!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

defenestration

oh yes!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like