back to article Life ain't a bowl of funding at CherryPal

CherryPal's $249 cloud PC seems suspiciously close to vapor nowadays. But despite months of delay, CherryPal maintains its odd, 2-watt, ultra-cheap desktop will be ready to ship next week. The question is how long it will stick around. According to an email from CEO Max Seybold, the startup is facing some major funding issues …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Charlie van Becelaere

Surely I'm not the only one

who assumes that the binding funding agreement:

>"We had a firm and binding funding agreement with a UK based African-born family,"

Seybold began. "Unfortunately they never followed through and left us high and dry."<

included language such as:

"You have been recommended to us as a discreet and trustworthy individual, able to help us to repatriate our £100,000,000 (One hundred millions pounds - sterling!) to the UK in exchange for a small fee or investment ...."

Perhaps the next model number should be CherryPal 419?

2. Dave Fox
    Gates Horns

Funding problems?

I wonder if the problems run much deeper than Max suggests, since despite repeated requests (and promises) for a refund, my money has yet to appear. And that is despite me emailing Max directly after getting nothing but static from the refunds "department" who asked if a cheque would suffice. A cheque would be fine - if only someone would actually write one and send it out!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Startups that survive

will be great investments, if the foundation is strong enough to emerge in these times you know you are onto a winner.

Hard though for those who started prior to the total and complete collapse of western civilisation, they would have seen credit as the port of last call and as their safety net, ever since the annihilation of the credit based economy that is no longer true.

They need everyone they can get right now, so should be interesting to see what happens, they went for their angel bloggers, but they made them jump through hoops, which was daft, they should have just gone the all out open route and got more support, but hey, people like their empires, even if it just turns out to be a sandcastle vulnerable to the next tide of change.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

"Oral commitments"

That sounds rude. Who was it who said that a handshake wasn't worth the paper it was written on? Or something along those lines? (checks) Samuel Goldwyn, "a verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on".

Why does the man need to point out that it was an African-born family? Why is that relevant?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wonder if I'll get my wings

I'm one of the Brand Angels and I'm left wondering whether I'll get my wings ...

... but seriously I expect one of these little beasts to drop on my doormat sometime in November ... provided HM Customs don't decide to make me pay Duty and VAT on the bleedin' postage!

6. James Pickett

Catch 22

If these were in the shops, they would sell like hot cakes. Unfortunately, retailers never give shelf-space to things that aren't already selling like hot cakes...

7. Paul
    Happy

@ Cherrypal 419

Damm you sir, you beat me to it, I had same thought here as soon as I read:

We had a firm and binding funding agreement with a UK based African-born family," Seybod began. "Unfortunately they never followed through and left us high and dry."

Although the boys from Lagos would probably like a cheap low power machine to scam people on.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Brand Angel

Looks like even the insiders don't know what's happening with Cherrypal.

http://mizzinformation.blogspot.com/2008/11/social-media-perfect-storm-cautionary.html

This topic is closed for new posts.