back to article Sun euthanizes UltraSparc-IV boxes

Sun Microsystems has announced that its Sun Fire line of dual-core UltraSparc-IV and UltraSparc-IV+ servers has come to the end of the economic line. This will not come as a surprise to the Solaris install base, which has been told repeatedly over the past several years to move to Sparc T servers using "Niagara" multicore and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dawid Kuroczko

M-series is a reasonable upgrade for Fire Vxxx

Niagara may be a multithreaded wonder, but in applications where you need a solid single-thread performance its a no-go. Think databases (especially if they are per-core licensed). M series is a reasonable upgrade path for these.

2. David Halko
    Thumb Up

Running 10 Virtual Machines on a T2000 has been nice...

I have to tell you... running 10 virtual machines on a T2000 with nearly 0% load impact per virtual machine has been very nice... with ample per-thread performance...

I can only imagine what some of the newer CoolThreads machines will be like... this box will allow for an 800% increase in workload... http://www.sun.com/servers/coolthreads/t5440/

It is hard to image close to a dozen virtual OS instance on any other platform... CoolThreads have me sold...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

After all, SUN is a software company

Or so the pony-tailed one would have you believe.

He even went so far as to disclose their software revenues.

http://blogs.sun.com/jonathan/resource/LineItems.pdf

ROTFLMAO!

Back to the article, though. This move does coincide with SUN ending it's fab dealings with TI, and moving all fab dealings to TSMC.

Paris, because even she knows the money is in "hard"ware, not "soft"ware...

4. Kevin Hutchinson
    Thumb Up

You may laugh but...

You may laugh but Sun's software billings are higher than Red Hat's. Sun is the preeminent FOSS company today. This is the beginning of something big.

5. Bill
    Go

Re: You may laugh but...

I agree. Sun is the largest FOSS company... PERIOD. It's not even close. Move over RH...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like