back to article OpenBSD 4.4 released

The 25th release of the free BSD Unix-like operating system has been made available. OpenBSD 4.4 offers new improved drivers including support for the Intel G33 and G35 chipsets and a variety of new Wi-Fi chips. It also boosts better ACPI support for some Asus and Thinkpad notebooks. The software can be downloaded from …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Webster Phreaky
    Jobs Horns

Apple Already "Lifting it" for OS X 10.7.x .....

you know, Apple the great iNOvator.

Wonder how long it will be till Apple, ah, "borrows" ReadyBoost(tm) from Vista??? Guess Apple needs to figure out how to keep RAM slots in MacBook Pros from failing first.

2. Gordon Ross Silver badge
    Thumb Up

At last !

Hurrah ! The Reg. has finally recognised that the *BSDs exist.

3. Gareth Jones Silver badge

First Sentence

"The 25th release of the free BSD Unix-like operating system has been made available."

Not sure I'm fond of that first sentence, sticking the words "free" and "BSD" together like that could be seen to imply a firm link between OpenBSD and FreeBSD.

4. yeah, right.

opportunity

Just installed it for testing. Good stuff, but still a pain in the ass to install. Definitely an opportunity waiting for someone there.

5. Goubert
    Flame

Oh the shame

The disgust that courses through me right now. (copyright Dylan Moran)

Three pages on the new Ubuntu release.

Half a page on the new OpenBSD.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Re: Oh the shame

"Three pages on the new Ubuntu release.

Half a page on the new OpenBSD."

Given the relative sizes of the users bases I'm guessing OpenBSD should have only got 3 words.

Okay, okay, that was rather harsh. I have actually used OpenBSD before and I like it, I just cant resist the chance to wind someone up....

7. Peter Kay

Not a pain in the arse to install

Assuming your hardware is compatible it's a doddle to install. Stick in CD/floppy/netboot, tell it to use all the disk, partition (ok, so that bit is marginally harder than other osses but still not difficult) and answer some simple networking questions . I've had more problems installing Linux than OpenBSD, especially when Linux tries to do a clever graphical install that's not required.

It could possibly be seen as less friendly in use - there's not much cruft bundled like there is on Linux. However, it is very logical, the documentation is pretty good and the packaging system works - it just doesn't handhold you. Likewise mailing lists/IRC etc are reasonably friendly but it is very much expected you have read the documentation on the website and the manual pages first.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You can use the word unix :)

UNIX(TM) is the trademark and UNIX-Like is the thumbing it to them :)

Really UNIX(TM) does a good job, in keeping commercial offering a consistent platform nowadays.

But OpenBSD is a unix operating system.

Apple can pick from any of the BSD licensed software that is what it is there for, as can anyone else as long as accreditation is given.

9. jake Silver badge

Demographics

>Three pages on the new Ubuntu release.

>

>Half a page on the new OpenBSD.

Methinks that most Ubuntu users need to read a lot more than 6X the documentation on any given release to become up to date than most BSD users ... it's a demographic thang.

This topic is closed for new posts.