back to article Cloud idealist turns realist on platform portability

In the vexed world of interoperability, Salesforce.com is treading a line between pragmatism and idealism. Chief executive Marc Benioff said he'd love to see a standard for interoperability on moving packages between applications in rival clouds and for remote procedure calls (RPCs). That could allow more applications hosted …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Frank

That jacket!

Never mind software APIs and cloudiness, where did Marc Benioff get that jacket made of chameleon cloth that blends in with the backdrop curtains?

2. jake Silver badge

Interoperability is here ...

I'm not a fan of so-called "cloud" computing ... but have any of these idiots heard of "LAMP"? Not that Marketing has a clue what the term "standard" or "portability" means ...

3. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Alien

Making IT Real Enough to Drive Transparently

"Benioff said. "We have to get away from that Microsoft philosophy." "

Some of ITs customers are using Microsoft InfraStructure/Executive Administrative Programming as a Hosting and MetadataBase Provisioning Tool for Cloud Action with HyperRadioProActivity with All Manner of Truly Diverse and Innovative Application. Why only this morning is the Legislative Assembly of Northern Ireland, through the Conduit of its First Minister, Invited to Provide AI Lead in the Virtual Governance Field with the Simplest of FailSafe Investment Guarantees to ITs AIdDrivers ...... thus that they can then Assist Immeasurably in Social Edutainment ProgramMIng and Master Pilot, Post Conflict Nation Building. And then there is also this Blue Skies Thinking/Azure Momentum submitted for Peer Review ..... http://blogs.msdn.com/jennifer/archive/2008/10/28/what-is-windows-azure.aspx#comments

A Very Pragmatic Enigmatic Virtual Reality for Any and Every Cloud Idealist. ....... but then would XXXXPect that in any Quantum Program, such is the Inclusive Nature of Quantum State ..... Either one and the other or both together different and all at the same time .... pretty much sums up the Mindset.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

semi-cloud

is what i want.

I don't want my data to be stored somewhere out there on the net in a dodgy lowest bidders datacentre, i want my data to be stored on my main home computer. I then want all of my other devices to be able to securely connect to it from pretty much anywhere, and synchronise with it, over the net.

i can't even get this sort of thing working well over my home network though, so over the net is probably too much to ask.

5. KenBW2

@semi cloud

You could install your own server on your own desktop. Be like your own personal cloud

6. Jolyon Smith
    Coat

And after ...

... the marketting legs of "The Cloud" have been well and truly run into the ground and everyone realises that actually "The Cloud" is little more than a 21st century "mainframe", with desktop PC's relegated to little more than "dumb terminals" (ok, slightly smarter terminals than before), and then remembers all the reasons why that model died ....

... Microsoft and Google will then be offering Silverlining 1.0 and the merry go round can start another revolution.

God knows it's the only revolution we're ever likely to see in the industry these days.

7. jake Silver badge

Options.

"I don't want my data to be stored somewhere out there on the net in a dodgy lowest bidders datacentre, i want my data to be stored on my main home computer. I then want all of my other devices to be able to securely connect to it from pretty much anywhere, and synchronise with it, over the net."

I've had that for about two and a half decades. UUCP was (and still is!) a cool tool. Modern encryption helps.

"i can't even get this sort of thing working well over my home network though, so over the net is probably too much to ask."

Nah. It's easy. If you know how. Take UN*X 101 at your local JC ... or Poly.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like