back to article London drum-maker dies of inhalation anthrax

The London-based Spanish drum-maker admitted to Hackney's Homerton Hospital with anthrax contracted from imported animal skins died on Sunday afternoon, the BBC reports. A hospital spokesman confirmed that Fernando Gomez, 35, died of inhalation anthrax - the same means of transmission which in 2006 proved fatal for 50-year-old …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. It wasnt me

Ummm....

Surely there should be some biological controls on importing animal skins ?

2. Mike Crawshaw

Precautionary Antibiotics?

Aren't the medical profession always telling us that using antibiotics in this manner actually decreases their efficiency?

3. david
    Thumb Down

@It wasn't me

Why? 2 deaths in 2 years is a pretty low risk.

Typical knee jerk reaction.

(I work with skins as a hobby)

4. John Macintyre

terrorist

he brought anthrax into the country, must be a terrorist. as a precaution I pray the uk.gov protect it's sheep I mean citizens by banning animal skin imports. Safer yet, ban animal imports of any kind. Safer yet, humans are cattle, ban humans.

On a more related note, it's quite interesting that rare animal skins can contain anthrax. Presumably there are drums on the market that contain anthrax that the drum makers took precautions when fitting. Were the drums found in a flat used by a terrorist, would the maker have been arrested on suspicion of supplying deadly substances to terrorists?

5. Matt Thornton

Erm?

Wait a second - I'm not allowed to take a bottle of water on to a plane - but it's perfectly legitimate to import anthrax into the country?

6. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Stop

Ermmmm

"They will begin to seal of his flat and workplace." Shouldn't hey have done that already given that he went into hospital last Wednesday?!

7. dodge

What, no "funeral drum" jokes?

Tut. tut.

8. Pete James

Just wondered

He didn't play for Spinal Tap, did he?

9. Daniel Krza
    Joke

Not that I don't feel bad for the guy ...

... and his family, but how could El Reg miss the "Pertussionist" pun? Fuzzy pub morning?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like