back to article AT&T throws iPhone users free Wi-Fi

iPhone-touting Americans are now able to connect to AT&T's network of 17,000 Wi-Fi hotspots for free - though since they'll have to manually connect and authenticate each time, they might prefer 3G. UK iPhone users already have free access to The Cloud and BT Openzone spots, 9,500 of them, but in the US punters have been asked …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nigel Callaghan
    Unhappy

3G coverage?

What is this "near-ubiquitous 3G coverage" of which you speak? Try living in the vast area outside the cities and towns (or 'real Britain' as it's known, where 'real Brits' live) and see how good the 3G coverage is!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hope it's better than The Cloud...

...which has abysmal wi-fi range and dire speeds (much slower than 3G in most cases, and occasionally I've found EDGE to be faster).

3. Paul Bruneau

this authentication is a pain

I'm with you, Reg. I would rather take Edge speed than jump through those hoops. Hand entering my cell number and clicking a box? What century is this again?

4. MarmiteToast
    Thumb Down

London

London has terrible 3G coverage... I'd dread to live out in the wilds.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

Not a problem

Surely the 3JesusPhone users just have their number on a text file and copy and paste it into the relevant webpage ? No ?

Come back Bill, the world needs you (any journo's noticed the link between Bill leaving and the world economy collapsing?)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

3G & wifi coverage

Well I feel I'm a real Brit and last time I looked even lived in real Britian and I get great 3G coverage so I have to assume that Callaghan is living on an even smaller island, off France, with naff-all coverage.

7. Duncan Hothersall
    Heart

@ Nigel

Or indeed in cities - 3G in Edinburgh is patchy at best. And as with all of these technologies, they are most available precisely where you don't need them - i.e. home and work where better networks are more easily available - and least available where you do need them - out in the wilds, on a train journey or in a foreign country.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Not a problem

Is this the frothing Webster in disguise?

Good riddance to Gates and his kak-handed 'stoopid' Microsoft. Jobs can take a running jump too while we're at it.

Sent from my iPhone.

9. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

IT?

Wasn't there a temporary protocol between g and n for one to be able to change very quickly namely for the purpose of not interrupting voip communications?

10. Nameless Faceless Computer User
    Thumb Down

yea right

With the state of technology you would think AT&T would have a more convenient way of making a connection without such a process e.g. check the IP address range. The most valuable WiFi connections are at the airports, which AT&T has listed as "Premier Roaming Location" Curious, I asked them exactly what that means. The answer? "Not free." oh, duh.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like