back to article HP introduces stylish VIA Intel-based netbook

It's official, HP has launched its new netbook, the Mini 1000, and it's ditched VIA's C7-M processor in favour of Intel's Atom. HP Mini 1000 HP's Mini 1000: VIA out, Intel in Spinning its previous Small, Cheap Computer, the VIA-based Mini-Note 2133 as just an "education-focused" product, HP pitched the 1000 at "internet- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

*YAWN*

Same as all the rest... another clone... come one...

Lets have a 10" screen with 1280x800 or similar resolution, and while we're there how about a small fast SSD for the OS (say 8GB) and a slower hard drive for cheaper mass storage, should have battery life like an EEE 901 but the more usable keyboard of the 1000 or Acer effort. 2GB of RAM as standard wouldn't hurt either...

And also how about getting some better graphics in there, maybe VIA can contribute with the recently announced Chrome 400 series...

2. Phil Endecott

Lower resolution

So despite the physically larger screen, they've dropped the resolution from 1280x768 to 1024x600.

That's a move in the wrong direction.

3. Jonathan Massey
    Paris Hilton

not revolutionary, but pretty

It does look gorgeous,though!

4. Torben Mogensen

I agree

One of the things that has me holding back from buying a netbook is the low resolution. HP's original offering was better with 1280x768, but the choice of a slower VIA processor held me back from that.

So I may well end up having to buy a considerably more expensive "professionsal" subnotebook. :-(

5. Matt Hoffman
    Unhappy

Where's Linux?

I agree with Phil, The lower resolution is a bad choice, IMO. I was waiting for them to switch to an Atom processor to buy one. I just went to their site and I only see XP SP3 option, no Linux or FreeDOS version like the previous version. Their wireless card manufacturer isn't even identified, just says that it's a wireless G card. Just another bleh netbook from what I see.

6. Tadhg Mulkern
    Thumb Down

HP have stepped backwards

HP should have sticked with the mini note 2133 design (with a bigger screen perhaps?) and just wacked in a VIA Nano. I can't understand the why they would bring out another clone(that's right I said it, CLONE) in a market that is full of them already, where is the selling edge??

7. Nexox Enigma

Bleh

I love my 2133, mostly because of the resolution. It's the only small / cheap laptop (I hesitate to call it a netbook) with a useable screen, which is the #1 most important bit of a portable computer. I don't know why everyone thinks that 1024x600 is a good resolution - maybe companies are trying to prevent cutting into their higher end laptop sales with these inexpensive computers, or maybe Atom just can't drive a real screen.

In any case I'm dissapointed, because it looks like the marketing droids in charge of netbooks have agreed that 1024x600 is a defining feature. I, like Torben will have to spend like 5 times the amount to get a useable small laptop which really doesn't offer me all that much more than the 2133.

For the record the Via CPU works fine, but the video has been less than perfect in my (unsupported by via) Linux distro of choice.

Oh well, the 2133 should last for a couple years, maybe the world will have sorted out what it wants in a laptop by the time I need it replaced.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

keyboard

"but the more usable keyboard of the 1000 or Acer effort."

Well that's balls for a start. I've tried every Netbook so far, and the HP MiniNote is a country mile ahead of any of them, especially the Aspire One.

As for the rest of it, mind, blah

9. jerry

Devolving to the Tandy 100

At this rate, by the end of the year, resolution will be 240 by 64, just like the Tandy 100!

10. Dave Coleshill

It's what's missing that counts.

Yes it's got a shiny big screen and a throbbing Atom CPU. They've sacrificed a gig of RAM capacity and the Ethernet port compared to the Mininote 2133 to cram them in though. That's going to make a lot of people (myself included) think twice about dropping their hard-earnt on it, even if it does turn out to be cheaper when it hits Blighty.

I get the impression that HP have released their Netbooks purely for the sake of not missing out on a market. There's a distinct air of "We have no idea who we're aiming these products at" about the changes.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like