back to article GSK runs out of juice over Ribena claims

GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), manufacturer of iconic English thirst-quencher Ribena, has been squeezed before an Auckland (NZ) court for misleading consumers about the levels of vitamin C in the local version of its blackcurrant drink. The company admitted to the Auckland District Court that it misled customers about the vitamin C …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oops

hmmm- the missus is a "spokesman" (aka PR) for GSK- I wonder what she'd have to say about this.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where is the trust?

I really hope someone out there will independently verify their claims about their UK products.

I presume we're not just going to trust them on this one...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

shocking coincidence...

its a shocking coincidence that the one region where this 'independent test' was carried out is the one and only region that their claims are false in!

what are the chances of that?

4. Paul Murray

Busted by schoolgirls

Anyone remember that incident where another schoolgirl demonstrated that Theraputic Touch ("TT") is nonsense?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

and also....

.... I heard that there might even be traces of real food in a certain, popular, Scottish sounding hamburger restuarants offerings as well !!

Amazing.

6. Graham

Ribena concentrate marked with toxic HazChem symbol

Vitamin C aside, I used to live close to a Ribena bottling plant. The drums of concentrate were covered in HazChem "toxic" symbols. Made me look at the drink in a new light, I can tell you.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

CVIT

GSK bought C-Vit and now I can't find it anywhere. CVit was supposed to have 100% RDA of C in about a pint of diluted drink. Wierd that they killed it off...

8. David S

An alternative...

All these artificial drinks trying to appear healthy; "Our drink contains no artificial flavours" - "Contains no artificial colours" - "Now with 50% less vegetable fat"...

What's wrong with juice? You know - squeezed out of fruit?

9. alex dekker

re: Busted by schoolgirls

How could we forget /that/ incident? The court order they took out against you doesn't expire until 2015!

10. Steve Roper

And now for the product EULAs

This makes me think about a clause in Microsoft's EULA - you know, the one about not being allowed to publish the results of any benchmark tests of Windows performance without permission from Microsoft?

What's the bet we'll soon start seeing EULA's on product labels like:

"You are licensed ONLY to consume this product. By opening this bottle, you agree not to analyse, reverse engineer, disassemble or perform any other test, chemical or otherwise, or to publish, distribute, or otherwise disseminate results arising from any such test, without the prior written permission of the manufacturer".

Then high school experiments like this could land those girls (and their school) in an RIAA-type lawsuit! The mind boggles... but it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

This topic is closed for new posts.