back to article Google Earth lands on Jesus Phone

Google has squeezed its world-snooping software, Google Earth, into a small, small world for Apple's iPhone/iPod Touch. Image courtesy Google Like its desktop sibling, the application lets users fly around a 3D view of Earth made from aerial and satellite imagery. Google Earth for iPhone is available for free in 18 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Richard Cartledge

It's the software stupid

It's better in many ways than the desktop version, the way it integrates with your contact's addresses and uses iphone's location services, and also the ability to use multi-gesture to pinch and twist the screen and to tilt the phone (all at once if you like). It's the software like this and the interface which allows for it which makes the iPhone years ahead of the lumbering competition. Of course there will be those who see it has no floppy drive and has lame bluetooth and think that's more important to them, and that's their right.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

Multi-touch

The iPhone interface sounds impressive in so many ways, but I wonder, do you honestly feel that reverse-pinching is easier than having zoom buttons or a slider control on one side of the screen?

3. Glenn Gilbert
    Thumb Up

Tie them to a tree and burn them!

This is witchcraft!

What a brilliant user interface. Totally usable, the tilt is just amazing.

And what's Microsoft's best interface? A coffee table!

4. Anthony Hegedus Silver badge
    Coat

pants!

Looking up contacts in google maps on the JesusPhone often doesn't work for me. Entries which don't explicitly say "united kingdom" in the country field don't work, because the keep trying to look up the address in the US. Do all americans type "United States of America" for every entry in their phone books? Well guess what, we don't put our country in either. Internationalisation... they've heard of it... not!

And why would you want to put your iphone in your pants? surely a more hygienic location would be... well, your trouser pockets?

5. Ian Ferguson
    Thumb Up

Wow

I'm actually pretty impressed - particularly as it's in Google's interest to hope that the iPhone fades into obscurity. I'm guessing that this is one of the fun projects that Google programmers have dedicated their 'free' time to. Kudos to Google for allowing it to go public. (that would also explain why it's free).

Mind you, maybe Google have a kick-ass Android version of Google Earth that will show up the iPhone for the lumbering beast it is...

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Andy Worth

Multi-touch

Yes, once you get used to it the pinch/reverse-pinch for zooming really is easy to use, and you don't lose part of the screen to host the additional controls. Actually it's like a lot of functions on the Jebus-phone which seem to make no sense at first and gradually grown on you.

I must admit that I swore I would never get one of these devices, particularly the original one mainly due to the cost. But with the 3G it came into the same kind of price I paid for my N95 and I was won over by the interface.

*hangs head in shame*

8. Pete
    Dead Vulture

What no pithy Jebus pun?

C'mon El Reg, ethanol fuels supplies running low?

"He's got the whole world..."

9. Dan
    Jobs Horns

Oops...

There goes the battery life [again].

Anyway, never mind this, where's my Flash plugin?!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is sexy

But what would you rather have? Battery sapping sexy apps on a phone to show off before you rush off to the nearest recharge socket, or something you can actually make phone calls on when you're out in the sticks?

It's nice, and I'm often tempted by the thing especially when apps like this come along, but then I feel buying an iPhone is little more than putting arty books on my coffee table in my minimalist living room, purely to impress visitors (of course the Macbook Air would also be on the coffee table).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like