back to article Sky and BBC in iPlayer deal

The BBC and Sky are today trumpeting a new arrangement that will see the latter stuff links to iPlayer shows into its own web TV service. And... er... that's pretty much it. Given the Sky Player's weedy traffic*, the move is likely to have negligible impact on usage of iPlayer. Meanwhile, Sky offering categorised links to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Virgin Media iPlayer != BBC iPlayer

The content on Virgin Media's own iPlayer service is nowhere near as comprehensive as the BBC's own service. We usually end up using the Wii to watch iPlayer through the telly, as the Virgin Media service seems to

a) only carry the shows that VM used to carry on its on-demand service before iPlayer

b) be its own-recorded shows, rather than pulling content from the BBC iPlayer network

c) have about 10% of what BBC iPlayer has

d) only carry every episode of Bargain Hunt, etc

so basically you're looking at a Virgin Media service that's just been labelled as the BBC iPlayer, probably to discourage people from using their Virgin Media pipes to access the content instead.

2. Nick Palmer

@AC

I think you're confusing the catch-up TV options in the VM interface with iPlayer; certainly, when I've used iPlayer via the red button there have been an excellent choice of programmes, and the content is pulled from the iPlayer network, not from VM's catch-up recordings.

3. James Le Cuirot

Sky Player?

Never even heard of it.

4. tony72
    Flame

Sky Player

I am no longer a Sky customer, maybe things have changed. But when I tried Sky Player, you could only use it on one PC, and once you had registered that one PC, it required phone calls to Sky to de-register it and install it on a different PC. What a f@#king crock.

5. Fluffykins Silver badge

"improvements to the user experience "

D'you mean they're getting rid of Customer Service lines?

6. Lloyd
    Black Helicopters

@Tony72

That's just Sky for you, I'm not even too sure why I'm with them any more, it used to be for Sky 1 but bar The Simpsons there's nothing on it any more, time for a Freesat HD box methinks.

7. D@v3
    Thumb Down

iPlayer

iv not had much success with tthe iPlayer in general.

Having installed the internet channel on my Wii for the sole purpose of having access to iPlayer on my TV , i'v not been able to use it to watch any of the (available on PC) programs that i have wanted to watch, constantly being told that " this content is not currently available, please try again later".

And again recently trying to catch up on missed episodes, using the online player (on winXP), i found i was being interupted every couple of mins while the video appeared to be buffering. Overall not happy, but i guess you get what you pay for

8. Simon
    Alert

Sky player? pah!

Got a computer? Check

Got internet? Check

Use sky? Check

Got sky one, movies etc? check

Can I view what I already pay for? ermm nope, I have to pay another £10 a month for to watch what I already watch. Needless to say I am one of the 99.99999999% who signed up, found out it's an "alledged" scam and never bothered again.

9. Mike Rouse

I Registered on Sky

I registered on Sky Player to watch something once, but it never worked for me. I suspect there are plenty of people like me out there that bolster Sky's claims.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Interesting development...?

"A version of iPlayer for the millions of Sky set-top boxes in UK homes would be a much more interesting development."

Indeed it would. After all, Sky are unable to offer a genuine on-demand system on their set-top boxes as they lack of suitable delivery mechanism.

(Remember that Sky's set-top "on demand" service uses the Sky+ hard drive and records stuff overnight, delivering a heavily restricted selection of content. The full BBC iPlayer output would be several times more than that puny hard-drive could handle.

So it would be an extremely interesting development if Sky were to develop some magical system that either:

A) allowed your box to contact the Sky satellite and compressed and multiplexed the content enough that one satellite could deal with thousands of concurrent single-user "broadcasts";

or

B) compressed the content enough to fit on the Sky+ box while still being of viewable quality.

Sky are a dinosaur -- broadcast technology is yesterday's world. Freeview and Freesat provide value for money because they're free, and we can get supplementary services elsewhere (eg pay-per-view video downloads). Sky can't provide supplementary services, but Virgin can -- say what you like about their basic services, but you can't deny that the size and flexibility of their on-demand catalogue beats anything on the market.

They should be stealing Sky's audience, but they're not. Instead, Sky's customers just turn to PirateBay.

All because of poor marketing (good stars, shame no-one remembers what they were talking about) and poor procurement (having more programmes less than 4 years old on-demand would help).

Shame.

11. Matt Sims
    Go

*ponders*

I always wondered why (now that Sky is its own braodban provider) Sky don't just have an ethernet port on the back and provide on demand stuff that way.

12. Dr. E. Amweaver
    Coat

Maybe then the ITV Player...

...could get links into Sky and BBC. Oh, no, wait, they're depth-charging Kanga, and the BBC don't give a stuff.

Still, with their share price, not long before ITV get new owners who have (a) balls, (b) more aggressive lawyers and (c) actually know a thing or two about making entertainment. I for one will welcome the new mouse-eared overlords of the UK media industry.

Come to think of it - "Who's the leader of the gang that's great for you and me... M-I-C, K-E-Y, G-R-A-D-E..."

Mine's the one with "Not A Desperate High School Musical Ripoff, Honest" branding on it, available from all good stores...

13. Ash
    Happy

iPlayer is GOLDEN.

24" monitor, wireless presentation keyboard / mouse combo, and I can watch any BBC program I wish. Plenty of decent British comedy, some good series (Series 3 of Heroes?! Amagad!) and a player I don't have to sign up to use or houses DRM.

That last point is the only reason I don't use 4oD; I disagree fundamentally with DRM. Told them as much, they said "Hey, don't care. Thanks." Oh well. Less adverts for me.

14. Thomas Bottrill

Sky Player

It's brilliant if you subscribe to Sky Movies, as you can watch most of the movies on there for free, but the fact that you can only install it on one PC (meaning you have to get it de-registered any time your PC goes tits up) is incredibly annoying.

The iPlayer bit on there seems incredibly pointless, though. OK, so you can see the iPlayer programmes on there but, when you go to watch it, it just opens up your browser and sends you to the programme's page on the iPlayer site.

15. Steven Snape
    Thumb Up

SKY Player

I use it and I like it for the movies, Especially since the true VOD was introduced. If only the entertainment section was free. Overall a thumbs up from me.

It used to be a pig to install, Especially on an XP Media Center pc. You had to install things like "service rollup 2", "media player 11" and countless other large updates before any success. Fortunately I think the actual package you download from SKY has improved over what it was last year. I think some updates are included.

Having to de/re-register after a reload is a pain but I guess they have little choice in the days of DRM.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

WTF!

Why is my licence fee being used to help that scum bag Murdoch and his manure satellite system.

17. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

I have great idea!

Why don't we put on the show right here?

18. Thomas Bottrill

@Matt Sims

The new ones do have Ethernet ports on the back, as well as USB ports and an external SATA connector.

It's rumoured that a true on demand service (rather than the push service that Sky Anytime is at the moment) will be coming to Sky+ soon.

19. KenBW2
    Linux

It's time

we had a cross-platform system for all on-demands

20. Tom

Thank god for the internet

£15 on a tv card and I can watch and record (for posterity) anything I like from freeview on a pc rejected by a friend as it couldnt run windows anymore so I suck linux on it. Even with a lousy monitor the resolutions better than an £800 wide faced telly.

I tried sky but I like sport and not football and to pay nearly £500 pa for brownian motion seems a bit of a ripoff.

The internet, should, over time free media from the parasitic media companies like sky and then we should be free to watch and pay for what we like. Thats called taking capitalism to the capitalists and boy do they hate it!

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

IET lecture about iPlayer

Antony Rose turned up to Savoy Place to give a lecture about himself and iPlayer, he slagged off Sky Player suggesting they had borrowed the name, (he wasn't very nice about Linux either, but...).

Now excuse me but when I see Kwhatever I think KDE and when I see iWhatever I think "Apple" (not quite but we're in public)

22. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@ Tom and Ash

The "parasitic media companies" are the boys and girls who actually commission and distribute the media for you to enjoy.

Or not enjoy.

It's up to you.

Nobody is forced to engage with any of it, but if you do then the creators and participants in that piece of media, whether it's music, TV, film, whatever, deserve a return on their investment.

Or you would have everyone work for nothing? Great idea...

Also love this "internet will make things free" bollocks, no explanation of how that mechanism might work, leaving the inference that theft and pirate distribution will do it (yeah, I do know about advertising).

There really is no such thing as a free lunch - someone eventually has to pay the bill, so the arguments about freeing content and against DRM are simply naive.

You want free "TV" content, see Youtube and their ilk.

Something with narrative, production values beyond camcorder, skilled direction, production, acting etc then you need to have those who expect to be paid for their work.

Glad I've sorted that one out, no need to thank me.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like