back to article Microsoft sales tumble from quarterly high

Microsoft's put a brave face on its first-quarter results one year after trumpeting its best performance in eight years. The company Thursday fell back to highlighting its un-sexy multi-year licensing agreements with big customers as proof its business is sound and can endure a recession and netbooks onslaught, as it saw …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. tuna
    Thumb Up

Robust demand for Vista?

"Kevin Johnson, president of the platform and services division at the time, cited robust demand for <i>'upgrade' rights to XP only found in</i> premium editions of Windows Vista."

There ya go, KJ, I fixed that for ya. Don't mention it.

2. Simpson

See you at the bar

This earnings shortfall is a terrible thing. We must do something.

This Friday evening, I will be hosting a bailout fundraiser for Microsoft at your local pub / bar. I hope that everyone will be able to make it...

I will be at the bar all day organizing the event. Anyone who wishes to help with the organizing, should skip work on Friday and head straight to the bar.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

HA!

HAHAHAHAHAHA... hahahah, hahahahahahaha, hahahaha, ha.. ha... ha!

HA! :-P

4. Peter
    Thumb Down

How to put a negative spin on some reasonable numbers..

Wow. I'm sure there are a few companies that would love to have numbers that "tumble" like this.

At a time where one cash cow - Windows, isnt being deployed in big numbers, and economies are slowing, it IS big news to talk about multi-year annuity revenue streams.

The division break downs also show the other big cash cow - Office, is doing very well thank you.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

BillyBoy jumped at the right time

... this economy malarky reminds me of a wonderful Tom Petty song:

FREE FALLIN'

6. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

How could you have got it so wrong?

'The Guardian's' Windows' Editor, Jack Schofield, says "Microsoft reports record first quarter on Windows Server and Office success."

Sorry, my mistake, that should read "'The Guardian's' Computer' Editor, Jack Schofield".

7. paulc
    Linux

remember...

Microsoft would rather have you pirate windows than use an OS from the competition...

They'd rather have any XP sales on netbooks than customers getting Linux...

Reckon them steep discounts to the OEMs to get them to put XP on them thar netbooks instead of Linux are biting...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like