back to article Powerline Ethernet standardisation effort still stuck

An attempt to define a standard for in-home powerline Ethernet networking remains deadlocked after the lead proposal failed to win sufficient support from IEEE members this month. A joint specification touted by the HomePlug Alliance (HPA), Panasonic and Hisilicon only won the approval of 69 per cent of the IEEE P1901 Working …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sonny Jim

What about shortwave?

I'm a keen shortwave radio listener and already pick up interference from this stupid idea. The power cables running through the home aren't designed to carry data signals and hence are very poorly shielded. I can already pick up a neighbours BT Vision screeching away, annihilating some of the shortwave bands.

Who needs to crack wireless when you can just tune in directly to your neighbours home network....

2. Nigel Wright

Homeplug? Too late!

Unless of course you encrypt your data over the mains.

Until I read the fuss over on the Guardian's tech' blog I had no idea that Homeplug had such a bad effect upon shortwave....the problem is of course, Homeplug is now well established. It also works well and is convenient for many of us - unlike wifi. It is also much cheaper and easier to implement than running in a wired network around the house.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

@ Sonny Jim

Get in touch with OFCOM, MP, MEP - these devices don't meet EU standards; the sooner they're off the market the better.

4. Dave Jones
    Thumb Up

Homeplug

Homeplug is great, i gave up trying to get wireless to work properly. Where as homeplug was up and running in 2 minutes and has worked perfectly ever since..... Sonny Jim and Anonymous Coward should get out more.......

5. Nick Pettefar

Powerline Spectrum Destroyers

Hopefully these disgusting devices, these illegal transmitters of radio pollution and YOUR data will be taken off the market and the distributors punished severely as soon as possible. Equally worse are the people that install them knowing their effects - this is just radio frequency fly-tipping at its worst. Do we really have to suffer just because you can't be bothered to get your WLAN/WiFi to work and you can't be bothered to lay down a wire?! I'm All Right Jack - yeah! What a shame that OFCOM is as effective as wet loo-roll. Oi, OFCOM, can you HEAR ME?!

6. Martin
    Thumb Down

@Dave Jones

"Homeplug is great, i gave up trying to get wireless to work properly. Where as homeplug was up and running in 2 minutes and has worked perfectly ever since..... Sonny Jim and Anonymous Coward should get out more......."

So if you were deaf, it would be all right for you to play your music very loudly, so that the people next door couldn't even hear their TV - but hey - your can now hear your music, so they should get out more.

Not impressed.

7. James
    Pirate

More Chaos

Didn't know they disrupted shortwave radio, but not I know I'm off to the shops to get a load...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So Wifi or this

Well I am tempted to ditch the wifi and stuff the neighbourhood.

I wonder what the transmission speeds are.

9. Andrew Luton

homeplug

In my experience 85mbps homeplug is a damn site faster than 802.11g (through a wall anyway), and the Homeplug AV (200mbps) would no doubt be lots quicker.

Wifi is often just too conjested i find now days, Homeplug negates this issue.

YMMV but i'd definitely recommend, i've been running a 85mbps homeplug network for about 3 years now i guess (some of teh units are the old (interoperable) 14mbps standard) and i can't remember the units ever causing any network issues, plug and play as it's meant to be - everyone should get a good homeplug network!

Sorry shortwave people!

10. Inachu
    Thumb Up

A Germantown Maryland company has it!

The trial is going along smoothly.

This topic is closed for new posts.