back to article Intel shows off 'giant iPod Touch'

Intel demo'd what one staffer called a "giant iPod Touch" at the chip giant's gathering of Taiwanese developers this week. The inflated tablet is based around an 11.1in touch-sensitive display and Intel's small form-factor Core 2 Duo processors - the same chips found in the MacBook Air and other ultra-skinny laptops. Intel …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jerome
    Thumb Up

Looks cool!

Sure, as a portable device it's ridiculous - no-one's going to want to lug that thing around. But as a simple to use, touch-screen media centre it would be amazing. It's irritating that no company makes something like this. I just want a device I can plug into an amp and speakers and play MP3s. Bundle this thing with a remote control and sell it for a netbook price and you've got a winner.

2. Jordan Davenport

Microsoft Origami Experience Pack

Judging from the screen displayed in the picture, that appears to be the Origami Experience, designed for Ultra-Mobile PCs but available to pretty much anyone running any with Vista, as long as it's not Home Basic (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b0edd346-75ba-4185-b6aa-0a49940afbde&DisplayLang=en).

I've tried it out on my mid-range laptop (Turion 64 X2 @ 1.9GHz, 2GB DDR2 677), and for what it is, it was a bit too sluggish, though good in concept? It more or less combines Windows Media Player, Internet Explorer, and a few other gadgets into an interface somewhat similar to Media Center.

Long story short, yes, it is running Windows Vista.

3. Gulfie
    Joke

Seems a bit large...

...but at least it is big enough to hit a mugger over the head with.

4. Kenny Millar

So close...

yet so far

The interface is still mouse driven! See the mouse pointer?

Yes so it has touch capabilities, but it hasn't been designed from the ground up to be a touch device, otherwise it wouldn't be an on screen pointer.

5. Jolyon Ralph
    Thumb Down

Carry around town centers?

There are many, many places I dare not pull my iphone out of my pocket, this lump of ridiculousness just shouts "steal me, I'm worth £300 on ebay for sure". Are they out of their tiny heads?

6. Richard
    Thumb Down

Tablets?

How First-Half-of-this-Decade.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Now if they could just...

Now if they could just combine it with a mid-80's gi-normous boombox, that would truly be the thing to "carry around the town center"

*BTW, it's easy enough to turn off the mouse pointer if you so desire.

Mine's the one with the 12 D batteries in the pockets.

8. MarmiteToast
    Heart

@Jolyon

Surely your money would be better spent moving to a nicer neighbourhood than buying an iPhone?

9. Scott K
    Thumb Up

OS

If I am correct which admittedly is unusual they run Ubuntu MID

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/mobile

I've looked into it myself for a carpc but it was a bit clunky then, these would be ideal for in car computers and as wall mounted media centres. Not really for jogging round the park or catching the bus through some areas though. Bring on the innovations I say :)

10. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like