back to article Sun claims super-skinny JavaFX milestone

The leaves might be falling, and the first installment of Sun Microsystems' JavaFX might still not be here, but the company has delivered what it's calling a "milestone" for its rich internet application (RIA) platform and runtime. Sun has released Java Standard Edition 6 Update 10, a version of Java SE that features a re- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gulfie
    Unhappy

However...

The JavaFX language is NOT java so although it sits on the same underlying platform there is still a new language, FX API and behaviours to be learnt. When the beta came out earlier this year it appeared that the language syntax hadn't been finalised either, which really should have been settled months previously.

FX may eventually succeed but to do so Sun needs to get the desktop version out ASAP with, most importantly, deep tooling support and not just in NetBeans, but also Eclipse and the promised extensions to Adobe tooling. Without tooling developers won't be efficient and Adobe is likely to win the war in this part of the RIA battlespace.

2. Steve

Eclipse

Not much Sun can do about developing tooling in Eclipse.

3. Chris

Correction

Err, we just rolled out Java SE 6u10 no our QA servers, and the CORBA API is most definitely still there. Not sure about RMI, as we don't use it.

4. Tom Chiverton

"do not yet extend to mobile"

All the people with Flash on their mobile phones must be miffed then...

5. Gulfie
    Stop

@Steve

Give me one good reason why Sun are not able, should they wish, to write plugins for Eclipse to develop JavaFX? There are no legal obstructions and Eclipse is open source...

6. Daniel B.
    Unhappy

Oh great!

"Sun claimed Java SE 6u10 has a 4.5Mb kernel compared to the previous 14.5Mb, with the environment retaining the VM, and core Abstract Widget Toolkit and Swing at the expense of less commonly used APIs like Corba, Remote Method Invocation, and a second garbage collector."

So ... all my apps will cease to run in 6u10, 'coz they use the "less commonly used" RMI stuff. How am I going to do client/server software, isn't that what all these "Internet apps" are all about?? Though I hope this isn't true, as one of the above posters noted with Corba.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Everything is there ...

Don't worry Daniel, everything will be there, it just doesn't come with the installed, it is download in the background on demand

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like