back to article Advent 4213 HSDPA 3G-enabled netbook

Having dipped its toe into the netbook waters with the Advent 4211, a rebadged version of the MSI Wind, DSGi - the retailer formerly known as Dixons - has quickly jumped in with a pair of new Small, Cheap Computers: the 4212 and 4213, both based on ECS' G10IL1. Both machines are almost identical. There's one key difference: …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tim Nicholls
    Thumb Up

After a month of using one of these...

...I'm really happy with it. I swore I'd never buy another Windows machine but so far, this little machine seems to be pretty stable and does what i need when I'm out and about. I'm spending up to 8 hrs a day using the built-in HSDPA and it's just about glitch free.

Real world battery life with HDSPA on and the screen a couple of notches below full brightness is around 3.5 hrs and it's about the same with wi-fi on and HSDPA off. Upping the RAM to 2Gb cost me £23 and made a big difference when switching between 3 or 4 apps but the machine ran perfectly well with 1Gb.

I'm feeling pretty guilty about leaving my 17" Macbook Pro at home every day but for coffee shop and motorway services us, the 4213 is a winner.

2. KenBW2

Waiting for the obligatory "under £200 or no sale" comments

See title

3. Anonymous Coward
    Go

DELL MINI 9

Currently one of the mobile shops are advertising "Dell Mini 9 - The only netbook with mobile broadband inside" Naughty naughty.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I see it runs Mac OS X as well

though presumably it doesn't have the grunt for Leopard, hence the Tiger wallpaper...

5. NICHOLAS SAUNDERS

4211 v 4213

Why the better test scores for the 4213 as opposed to the 4211 - seem identical in terms of hdd,ram,cpu?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

windows xp?

the marketing photos have os x wallpaper on it! Now I might be interested!

7. Giles Jones Gold badge

It may be over £300

Having 3G gives these devices some purpose at least. Having the Advent name on it should lower the price more than other brands.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like