back to article Toshiba hints at sooner-rather-than-later fuel-cell debut

Toshiba has hinted that it may introduce fuel cell-based products on a commercial scale within the next few months. In an interview with Register Hardware, Thomas Teckentrup, Toshiba's European General Manager for Computer Systems Marketing and Business Development, said that, although the company still has some issues to iron …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sam

Me want..

'Leccy hovercar for crimble!

2. retroneo
    Paris Hilton

I don't get it at all

Why the rush to return to disposable/refillable batteries?

I really like being able to plug into a wall outlet to magically recharge my phone/laptop etc.

Power outlets are everywhere! They are easy enough to use.

I just don't get it!!!!

3. Josh Cain
    Black Helicopters

What does the FAA think of fuel cells

To point out he benifits of a fuel cell to retroneo who wrote 'I don't get it at all' a fuel cell has the potential for being recharged in a manner of seconds, as you replace the material that it derives it power from (like recharging a butane lighter from a pressurized can, or refuelling your car...), as opposed to plugging in and having to wait for your battery to recharge.

Being someone who travels on a weekly basis, and seeing the minor nightmare that is airport security, I wonder what category a refill cartridge for a fuel cell would fall under? Would they be sold in airport shops or banned altogether?

Obviously someone with a fuel cell powered cell or laptop would be screwed by the TSA and their appearance of security if a fuel cell refill cartridge contained more than the 3 fluid ounces of liquid. Even more so if the refill cartridges housed a highly combustable material.

4. Rich

From wikipedia

"the International Civil Aviation Organization's (ICAO) Dangerous Goods Panel (DGP) voted in November 2005 to allow passengers to carry and use micro fuel cells and methanol fuel cartridges when aboard airplanes to power laptop computers and other consumer electronic devices. On September 24th, 2007, the US Department of Transportation issued a proposed rulemaking to allow airline passengers to carry fuel cell cartridges on board. The Department of Transportation issued a final ruling on April 30, 2008, permitting passengers and crew to carry an approved fuel cell with an installed methanol cartridge and up to two additional spare cartridges. It is worth noting that 200 ml maxium methanol cartridge volume allowed in the final ruling is double the 100 ml limit on liquids allowed by the Transportation and Security Administration in carry-on bags."

5. Noah Monsey

FAA already approved fuel cells for use on planes

The FAA already approved fuel cell for us on airplanes.

A search on google using the key words fuel cell faa returns lots of articles.

I believe there may be limits to the number of cartridges you are allowed to carry.

6. The Voice of Reason

Enough already

How many more reports do we need that Toshiba are hinting this, they may do that -each time giving another freebie boost to their pre-release advertising? Do the reporters work for them, or just hoping for a complimentary fuel cell when/ if they ever come out?

Enough already. Wake me up when they actually DO get released.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like