back to article Shiny phones lead to rash of rash

The British Association of Dermatologists is warning that excessive mobile phone use can lead to an unsightly rash across the face and ears and wants doctors to look out for it. The problem is caused by metal cases, which are increasingly popular as fashion becomes more important than function. Rubbing nickel-heavy alloy …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. sas
    Paris Hilton

Wallet of doom

So 30% of the population get a rash every time they open their wallet and get out some coins?

2. steve-C

Errrrm, no

PROLONGED contact against SWEATY skin.

Also, fingertips are a whole lot less prone to such reactions. I play bass, the strings of which contain nickel, but never have a finger rash. However, a nickel alloy watch backplate will bring my wrist out in lumps in no time.

Maybe if someone held coins in their sweaty mitts all day, they would get a reaction (in the palms more likely)

3. Neoc

Old news...

If I had a nickel for every...

Oh, wait... never mind.

4. Joe

@ sas

Only if they spend hours counting them.

5. Steven Knox
    Boffin

@sas

Well, only if they are numismatic fetishists, "[r]ubbing nickel-heavy alloy against sweaty skin _for_hours_"

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's all about exposure time

@Sas

Most people handle coins only for brief moments, so they don't cause anything even for sensitive people.

Things would be different, If they would be keeping coins on their skin up to several hours per day.

7. The Voice of Reason

Alternatively...

...why not avoid touching the phone by using a Bluetooth earpiece instead.

That way you can look even more stupid than if you had a rash right across your face.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@sas

Yes. That 30% is usually referred to as "Scotsmen".

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ sas

Coins go in the pocket: the wallet is used for storing notes. A container for coins is called a purse (in the British, rather than American English, sense of the word) and are rightfully an object of derision, which is why they are hidden inside handbags (or purses, in the American, rather than British English sense of the word).

Anyway, what about SMS obsessives: surely their clammy texting fingers will also be covered in rashes and suppurating sores?

10. Scott Mckenzie

Nicekl Allergy

Doesn't quite work like that.... you need prolonged contact with something, holding a coin for 10 seconds doesn't quite, but a watch or similar where sweat etc gets trapped under it... leads to not a lot of fun here :(

Being allergic to aluminium is a pain with my Macbook Pro too!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@sas

30% of the population don't open their wallet, get out some coins and rub them against their ear for minutes at a time.

I'm one of those that can't hold a phone against my ear cos I get a large sticky rash. The plastic-cased phones don't do it, just the metallic ones.

12. James Pickett

Proportion

So teenagers with a rash (how would you know?) are a problem, but frying their brains isn't? Mind you, how would you know that, either? :-)

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iphone? Pah

Nowt wrong with the N95

14. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@James

Well, the rash is a simple allergy which is proven. 'Frying their brains' is petty speculation with no credible evidence.

15. RogueElement
    Coat

@ AC [17th Oct] 07:47 re: Scotsmen

I resemble that remark.

Anyway - isn't it equally likely that the poor skin condition is caused by all the fekkin crisps, sweets and chips they eat whilst on the phone.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like