back to article Obama spews ads onto Xbox Live

In an effort to reach young American males whose interests don't even extend to television, US presidential candidate Barack Obama is now placing ads inside online video games. As reported by Reuters, Obama has slotted ads into 18 games on Microsoft's XBox Live service, trumpeting the voter registration and early balloting …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Scott
    Unhappy

Hmmm.....

The Obama phenomenon began in the presidential race with a "fan" video that took off on the Apple 1984 Superbowl Ad, just Obama was supposed to be the voice of freedom and enlightenment, etc.

Yet in that picture he looks just like a political ad from the movie "1984".....hmmm....I personally think we're watching a live action version of the movie Wag The Dog where liberal funding is being used to prop up an almost fictional candidate. If he's so able to "change" the world, what's he been doing until now?

I think the Obama presidency is a done deal, but I can't wait to see the fireworks afterward as the man who would change the world has to live up to the hype....................

2. Eddy Ito
    Alert

Personally

I can't wait for the 2012 meltdown that will make the problems of today look like a walk in the park. You know the one, when taxes jump to 80% to cover the myriad retiring baby boomers while unemployment is higher than ever. But hey, at least everything will change, well, everything but so-so security. I almost feel bad for whichever chump gets in. "But what about us?" you say. We'll always have schadenfreude.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

More journalistic excrement

"...wasting millions on ads directed at people who won't even turn on a TV - much less vote."

Please, read that again and realise how stupid a statement that is. Like myself, I'm sure there are plenty people who play games, watch very little TV and actually read newspapers or just read it online. Are you saying that people need the brainwashing provided by TV to make them vote? Seriously, I'm confused, what the hell are you trying to say here? "won't" watch TV, meaning they're refusing? I didn't realise it was an order! You yanks are crazy, man.

Aside from that, please get the election over with, the rest of the world is sick of hearing about it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

RE: please get the election over with

"please get the election over with, the rest of the world is sick of hearing about it."

Trust me, so are most of us over here.

5. Wize

Does it register gunshots?

There could be some popularity feedback with these adverts.

If they detected the number of shots hitting the posters in the game, they might realise that the players don't want them.

6. Stuart
    Paris Hilton

Well....

they aren't going to reach many people that don't turn their TV's on...seeing as you kinda need them to use the consoles, unless you are piping it through a monitor or projector....

Paris because she has been piped through many monitors and projectors...

7. Yorkshirepudding
    Pirate

lolz

no such crap in the ps3 version, please by all means clutter up those screens

yaaar is a poltical bording innit

8. Allan
    Stop

billboard feedback

"If they detected the number of shots hitting the posters in the game, they might realise that the players don't want them."

That could be considered an act of terrorism, so i'd refrain from shotting at/jumping into any such observed billboards.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

A better Idea..

Would be to set them up as characters in the next GTA.

And them have them located around the city and then you could go up and assassinate them, because frankly it, its about as far as I trust either of these tools.

After all is it not part of the American dream to shoot the president or next president?

I really think the U.S should make it part of there tourist drive "Come to America, Shoot our President!"

In fact I think we should set up a simular scheme but instead of just localising it I would open it up for any MP.

Most people think that people with guns are backwards hillbillies.

I'm begining to think that maybe they are just forward looking.

*\. Coat - check, Pastport - check, AK47 - check, Round the world trip here I come.

10. Mike Groombridge
    Black Helicopters

@oofie

MI.5 and the CIA have your i.p. address and are coming to get you

see you on the 5 oclock news

11. Martin Usher
    Happy

Its about voter registration....

Obama's background includes so-called Community Activism which in this case is getting the vote out -- the ads target voter registration. Unlike the UK we have a lot of different elections going on at the same time -- in this case you'll have President, maybe Congress and Senate, State representative and senate, county, local, park and school districts plus a whole slew of propositions. Democracy will only work with your active participation and the key to this is getting people registered to vote, involved in the campaign and actively voting.

Its interesting to see that the Republican party's efforts in this election are almost soley directed towards seeing how many voters they can purge from the rolls (and how many registrations can be lost, denied or otherwise messed around).

This topic is closed for new posts.