back to article Google calls on developers to polish Chrome

Google yesterday released an update to its Chrome web browser that fixes a number of known glitches and crashes in the software. The search engine giant said Chrome 0.3.154.3 fixes a crash when using the spell check “add to dictionary” function, as well as a browser crash on tablet PCs running Microsoft Windows Vista. Other …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steen Hive
    Thumb Up

Crash?

Funny I've been using it nearly exclusively, and it even handled my own exploding NPAPI plugin with aplomb - just a dead-head icon in the window. I've seen a few rendering glitches here & there, but never a crash.

2. Eddie Edwards
    Thumb Down

Crash? Yes

I've been using Chrome exclusively since launch day and its crashed about 3 times, taking out all Chrome windows.

One of my bugbears with Chrome is that even if you launch it twice you still only get one master process. As opposed to every other browser where two instances are completely independent processes. Very strange given their "more processes is better" motto and given that the master process is perfectly capable of crashing.

This is a PITA if you happen to have two gmail accounts. Log in to one gmail account in one window and you're magically logged out of the other account in the other window. Design fail.

I still like Chrome but it's not as stable as they claim.

3. dervheid

It doesn't matter...

how hard you rub, or how much 'Mr. Sheen' (TM) you use, you can't polish a jobbie!

4. Jolyon Ralph
    Thumb Down

Funny mine says it's up to date

"Google Chrome is up to date (0.2.149.30)"

When it clearly isn't.

Now, when Google Chrome starts supporting RSS feeds natively I'll start using it more.

And when it gets the equivalent of the Firefox Developer Toolbar then I'll be very happy. Love the way the tabs can be split and rejoined. Pure bliss for dual-screen setups - always disappointed that you couldn't do that on Firefox (at least not properly as Chrome does).

Jolyon

5. The Other Steve
    Flame

Shamelessly fellating freetards

Last I checked the boys at Mountain View had so much money they probably have to be sedated every morning to stop them from dying of glee, and so they can certainly afford to hire talent to write code and QA teams to fix their bugs.

And I'm sure they did, but they also made it 'open', so that a million sticky little fingers can caress the code, form a 'community', and feel like they are 'participating'. FOSS is like, so cute and cuddly!

Release to the dev channel my arse. You'd think that the FOSS 'community' would see through the blatant PR charade and refuse to play, but of course it's not Microsoft and therefore not evil, and so the 'blogosphere' echo chamber rings with drooling praise, and gangs of freetards line up to work for free. For a company whose founders feature in the Fortbes top 20.

Puke. Just puke.

6. K
    Thumb Up

Its sexy...

its fast, but its missing that all important plugin API. Once that happens then it'll be new main brower.

7. Tom Richardson
    Thumb Up

@dervheid

... but you can roll it in glitter!

8. Graham Jordan

Page up/down scroll

Have they fixed the mouse wheel page up/down problem yet?

Removed it straight away when even a basic feature like that wouldn't work.

9. dervheid

@ the other Steve...

maybe so, but you have to admire their gall, just a little.

10. dervheid
    Alert

@ Tom Richardson

True.

But all you've got is a glitter coated jobby, all the same.

Not sure if it's even safe to use the word "Glitter" these days!

11. Scott
    Boffin

@Jolyon Ralph

Yes, your browser *is* up to date - 0.2.149.30 is the latest *beta* release. 0.3.154.3 is a *dev channel* release - which is like beta, but more so, it would appear!

And yes, I was confused too, until I clicked on the link...

12. The Other Steve
    Happy

@dervheid

"maybe so, but you have to admire their gall, just a little."

Admire it, I think it's frikkin genius. It obviously worked.

Also :

You can so polish a turd, if you dry it out a bit, then apply several coats of really thick varnish one after the other, allowing each to dry, and THEN polish the resulting plasticy mess. A bit like the fake bread/cake stuff infant schools used to have before they realised that infants would, in fact, still chew it, and paint and varnish are toxic.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@ the other steve

"You can so polish a turd, if you dry it out a bit, then apply several coats of really thick varnish one after the other, allowing each to dry, and THEN polish the resulting plasticy mess. A bit like the fake bread/cake stuff infant schools used to have before they realised that infants would, in fact, still chew it, and paint and varnish are toxic".

For that, you sir win best digression of the week. Please report to your nearest bar for a beer on me.

14. Jon Kale
    Stop

re: Crash? Yes

"As opposed to every other browser where two instances are completely independent processes"

ITYM "as opposed to IE, where two instances started separately are multiple processes" - or you're using a far odder range of browsers than is normal. Neither Firefox nor Opera will allow you to start multiple instances in normal use (tho' Firefox does have the -no-remote command-line switch, or you can set MOZ_NO_REMOTE).

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google Chrime?

Oki - it works as a browser, it's pretty fast off the starting blocks... all good so far.

It's not as polished as Opera nor as extensible as Firefox - but it's better than IE (no great feat that though).

It dials home about every 5 minutes to check for updates using GoogleUpdate.exe - ok, fair enough - which runs as a process that always starts and seems to be damned hard to stop (oki, you can terminate the process but it always rises from the grave within the next 5 minutes or so) - not quite so good.

Should you decide to uninstall Chrome, once getting past the "cute" "is it something we said" message, GoogleUpdate remains on your system and continues to dial home for updates... even though it's no longer got anything to update... mmmmmkay.

So to remove GoogleUpdate you need to find it, and it's in a hidden application folder, manually delete the files and then fix the registry.

Chriminal? Oh... no, beta =\

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like